M2 Tactical - What length extension tube to match barrel?

TheHolyCannoli

Crap... I never can remember this stuff, and I'm to lazy to go measure M2s. :p

Go to Nordic here. Scroll down a bit, plug your M2T and gauge into the fields. Open the "12 ga length" field and it will show you capacity and length. The variance is because there are three different lengths of end caps available.

Stick with quality tubes from Nordic, Briley or DMW... the cheap ones can cause grief.

I think I'm getting a bit confused...

This image on Benelli's official M2 page (http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-m2.php) has me a bit confused. Is the tactical version being shown with the optional +2 extension tube? The 3-gun with the optional +3 or +4 extension? And the field with no extension?

I was under the impression that all 3 models ( or at least the tactical and field versions) shipped with standard 5 shell magazine capacity...Can somebody clarify?

I think I'm getting a bit confused...

You would not believe how many times we hear that. Your first problem is your original question about getting a "flush" mag tube.

Most don't get too concerned about that, or have spent the time or money to figure that out. That and it can be sketchy as to what your tube will hold if you do get a flush mag tube.

Is the tactical version being shown with the optional +2 extension tube? The 3-gun with the optional +3 or +4 extension? And the field with no extension?

M2 Tactical... Yeah, I seriously doubt that slightly-shorter-than-the-barrel tube holds more than 7. 7+1. See my example below.

The Benelli "3-gun" has a 21" barrel and holds 8 in it's flush, Benelli spec, Nordic tube. 8+1. Odd huh? By the math, it could easily hold 9 shells. Why the light mag load? Functionality perhaps? A longer end cap could be installed and you could get 9 or 10... but then they didn't do that... :rolleyes:

M2 Field... all are 3 shell tubes. 3+1.

This is from an old Nordic tube chart. In fact, I think Cactus Tactical still uses it... and it's really not dead nuts accurate, but it ain't bad.

[TABLE=class: main]

[TR]

[TD]# of

Extra Shells [/TD]

[TD]Tube Length[/TD]

[TD]Overall Length

Installed [/TD]

[TD]Recommended

Barrel Length[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] +2[/TD]

[TD] 6.250[/TD]

[TD] 15.375[/TD]

[TD] 18.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] +3[/TD]

[TD] 8.622[/TD]

[TD] 17.747[/TD]

[TD] 18.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+4[/TD]

[TD]10.393[/TD]

[TD] 19.518[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 21[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+5[/TD]

[TD]11.929[/TD]

[TD] 21.054[/TD]

[TD]18.5 / 21[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+6[/TD]

[TD]14.370[/TD]

[TD] 23.495[/TD]

[TD]21 / 24[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+7[/TD]

[TD]17.598[/TD]

[TD] 26.723[/TD]

[TD]24 / 28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]+8[/TD]

[TD]20.196[/TD]

[TD] 29.321[/TD]

[TD]28[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Example. I have a +4 Nordic tube on my M2T that extends 1.165" past the barrel (doesn't exactly add up to the chart does it). With a (longer) Nordic Teflon coated aluminum follower, this tube holds seven 2 3/4" shells.

If I put the short Benelli red plastic follower back in I can stuff a 8th (Hornady) shell in... and it's a tight fit. If I cut a few dozen coils off the spring, I could run the Nordic follower and get 8 shells tight, but then the spring would be below the minimum required exposed length.

It's enough to drive you nuts... ain't it. :p

C

MUCH thanks for that info. I've decided I'm not too concerned with fitting flush, and after looking at more and more pics, I think I actually like a bit of space between the end of the extension and end of the barrel. 5 + 1 isn't too bad, but I may eventually look for a tube to give me a total of 7 + 1 capacity, especially for HD purposes. I didn't realize that the different versions ship from factory with varying mag capacities, and therefore, I already purchased a +2 Benelli extension tube separately.

No big deal though. I actually purchased two M2's (field with 21" and tactical with 18.5in barrels), so I guess I can just add the extension tube to the field version that I am planning on selling.