Nova bolt jamming feeding from magazine

ChrisDahn

Hey all,

I've been having an issue with my Nova for a while now that I chalked up to user error (not sliding it back all the way, etc), but it happened quite a bit today for two different shooters, so thought I'd follow up here and see what people think.

The problem is that the bolt appears to be binding up when feeding a cartridge from the magazine. The problem case keeps happening when shooting clays. I've put well over 1000 rounds of 2 3/4" target load through the gun by manually loading the cartridges into the ejection port over the past couple of years without a single malfunction. It only seems to happen when feeding a new cartridge from the magazine after ejecting a spent cartridge.

Today, both me and a friend were shooting clays, and were uncharacteristically shooting a lot of doubles. Out of 10 doubles, 2 of them jammed up on the second cartridge. A jam once in a while seems unavoidable, but 20% in one day seems awfully high, especially when I saw that my friend definitely got the slide all the way back when it jammed on him.

What appears to be happening is that the bolt is getting wedged about halfway forward somehow. I say this because the forearm won't slide forwards or back, and it's really hard to get the front trigger guard pin out. It feels like the bolt or a forearm rail is wedged up against the trigger guard, placing pressure on the pin so it won't slide out easily. Once I can get the pin out and remove the trigger guard, the bolt frees up and everything is good again.

I've tried to recreate this at home with practice rounds, but no matter how much I try, I simply can't. I don't know if it's a function of the rounds I'm using, temperature of the barrel/bolt, speed/force I'm working the action in the excitement of the moment, or what.

Right now, my only hypothesis is that somehow one of the rails from the forearm is somehow slipping over the catches on the bolt and wedging the whole mechanism in place.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...

"I don't know if it's a function of the rounds I'm using, temperature of the barrel/bolt, speed/force I'm working the action in the excitement of the moment, or what."

Eliminate that last thing first. Sometimes, under the "stress" of trying to make a quick second shot when there's an actual flying target to get, I've been known to short-stroke it. Take it to the range, load it up with the ammo you've been using and crank off rounds downrange as quickly and forcefully as you can. If you still have the problem, eliminate that first thing and change ammo. If it's not happening with your practice rounds, it might not happen with another brand/type of ammo. Try several different makes. If it's still happening then you may have a mechanical issue. I doubt temperature has anything to do with it.

Yeah, I agree that short stroking it is the most likely candidate, it just seems impossible given that you're operating with gross muscle control when you're pulling that forearm back as fast as possible. I guess I'm not sure how short is "short" either.. I'll see what I can do to start eliminating things before I call Benelli.