Sbe3 not cycling

Coberhl

Just bought a sbe3 left handed, shot 2 boxes of shells at sporting clays, went duck hunting this morning and the gun fires the first shell but will not eject the shell. I noticed on the bottom of the gun the shell flapper sticks when you push it up. Touch the bolt and it drops back down, my dealer says shoot heavy loads but I’m shooting 3 inch hevi shot and 3-1/3 hevi shot and won’t get past the first shell. I did try other manufacturers this morning. Think I’m going to have to send it back.

• 9 months later...

Interesting.  My SBE 3 will fire the first shell, lift the second shell halfway and it gets stuck.  The action obviously stays open at this point and I can work the shell into position.  Very annoying for this to be happening.  Specially when a flock of birds comes over.

I'm shooting 3.5 inch Kent BB and #2's.

Please PM me, I could assist you with your issue.  Additionally check your tolerance on your BB's.  You could do this by removing your barrel point it strait down, when inserting a shell into the chamber they should fall freely, seating the brass into the battery position, if this does not occur you are effecting how inertia and inertia forces are cycling shells. Any shell that does not fall freely will need sanded until it does.  No brand is any better than others,when it comes to BB's, BB's or larger which are difficult to seat in the shot shell cup. Benelli bores guns very tightly compared to most thus shot shell manufactures do not have good tolerance controls to prevent shot penetration and bulging of the shotshell hull.

This is a good reminder to keep your chamber area as clean as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 10:08 AM, Pern said:

Interesting.  My SBE 3 will fire the first shell, lift the second shell halfway and it gets stuck.  The action obviously stays open at this point and I can work the shell into position.  Very annoying for this to be happening.  Specially when a flock of birds comes over.

I'm shooting 3.5 inch Kent BB and #2's.

So did you ever find out what the problem was ?? Mines doing the same thing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: I tore the gun apart. I saw where the magazine release and bolt release mechanism are touching each other right directly above the trigger on the right side.  I put a very small amount of CLP between the two. It has shot jam free for nearly a case of Black Cloud shells. Fingers are crossed, but things are looking up.

• 8 months later...

I am also a lefty shooter.  Purchased my SBE 3 in March 2020, specifically for a March pheasant hunt.  Out of the box, it shot perfectly during the 3-day hunt.  Cleaned and put it away until the Fall of 2020, when the cycling issue began.  "Stove-pipng" the second shell, or not even bringing it up into chamber- the occurences were totally random.  Took it out for another pheasant hunt in March 2021, and again, cycling issues.  I finally sent it back to Benelli this Summer and they apparently made a change to the ejector and replaced a spring in the stock.  Just got it back in August, and went sporting clays yesterday with my son, to see how it performs after their work.  My son is also a lety shooter.  The issue continued, but only when I shot the gun.  Each stand was 6 pairs and he was able to cycle all six shots at every stand.  I would get two pairs through or sometimes only one, and the remaining pairs would have a cycling issue.  The loads were the same throughout.  This tells me the issue is me, but other than making sure the gun was mounted tighly, I have no idea what to correct. Even when I was certain the mount was tight, it still had the problem.   Is this gun really that finicky?  Any suggestions would be helpful.