Bolt recoil spring noise

BryanB

Well my son took my Benelli to shoot clays and noticed a clanky sound. I determined it is coming from bolt assembly and disassembled to clean and inspect.

I noticed about 3/16” approximately of play between the bolt recoil spring and bolt locking head, which is making the “clanky” noise when gun is moved around. This occurs when the bolt is both open and in closed positions.

Is this normal? Did I just not notice before, I couldn’t say. Does this indicate a worn spring or some sort of issue?

Yes, this is normal although it shouldn't be an issue with the bolt fully closed.  When the locking head is fully in battery, its tail comes in contact with the inertia spring.  When the bolt is open, the locking head rotates and moves forward in the bolt creating the ability of the spring to move back and forth.   If you take the bolt out of the gun, push the locking head back as if the gun is in battery.  Shake it back and forth and I doubt you'll hear the spring moving about much.  Release the locking head to its out-of-battery position, hold the locking head so it doesn't rattle, and do the shake.  You should then hear the spring moving back and forth.  Just the design of the system, nothing to fret over.

Thanks truckcop

Indeed you are correct on bolt position. After trying your recommendation I realized the bolt is not the source of clanky noise, other than its normal operating sound. The annoying clank is coming from tube magazine.

Next assessment to see whats going on there. 

Does that normally make a clanky noise too?