Sbe3 high shooting

Duke215

I bought a sbe3 a year ago. Haven't had a chance to shoot it, well i took it out goose hunting and i was missing geese like crazy this year and jamming issues. I contacted benelli about it and sent it out. Well i just got it back and it still shoots extremely high, i was told that's normal. I don't think 95/5 pattern is normal and to make it better on top of that it still has feeding issue. The bolt acts like it's locked open and you try to hit the bolt release it doesn't work, have to smack the gun or hit the butt on the ground to get it to close, and it's freshly cleaned and oiled. Have anyone else had this problem when they sent there gun in? I'm very tempted to trade this gun and let it be someone else problem. I hate to say that. 

Every SBE 3 Performance Center has a pattern in the box, tested by Rob Roberts as they customize the gun lengthening the forcing cone and installed choke tubes.  I have seen over 100 of these test patterns, all of these patterns show a almost perfect 60/40 pellet count/pattern high.

If you would like to PM me I would enjoy trying to assist you.

There is no difference between a SBE 3 Performance Center model VS any other SKU.  The only notable differences would be lengthened forcing cone, Rob Roberts Choke tubes, polished action, polished trigger group, and accessories.   Nothing is done to a PS gun that would align POI VS POA. 

What shims did Benelli send you.

Drop Lock Plate

Cast Shim

Drop Shim

The Benelli repair shop moved the barrel stop ring towards the receiver to the point where it lost contact with the barrel, which is my concern. Now all of the barrel recoil force is placed on the removable top portion of the receiver, and this is why Benelli wants the gun back so to correct this situation. The pattern provided by Benelli following the above repair, based on pellet count, has a 80/20 POI, and to the left 2+ inches at 21 yards.

With the "C" shims installed I see a sight picture looking straight down a flat rib, which should produce a 50/50 to 60/40 POI pattern, not an 80/20 POI pattern like was provided by the Benelli repair shop.

My family has owned Browning and Beretta shotguns for over 35 years, with myself and my kids having 8 Browning and Beretta shotguns between us, and I can honestly say I totally regret ever buying a Benelli product.

The Benelli customer support canned answers are "The gun patterns within our specifications" and "European shotguns are designed to shoot high" and "You do not know how to interpret shotgun patterns". Which is odd because I know folks who have other model Benelli shotguns that shoot 50/50 to 60/40 patterns.

As I get older I just hate being lied to.

Thanks

20211221_094018.jpg

I've got the same problem with my brand new SBE3 bolt not closing on an empty chamber. Try pushing down on the carrier with your other hand and it will get past the bind in the action. Watch that you don't get your finger caught in the action.

I'm guessing this is a result of non-conforming parts in Benelli's manufacturing facility.

Looks like another SBE3 Point Of Impact Complaint. The Rob Roberts solution is to loosen up your barrel nut! See the following:

My new SBE 3 is having the obvious same issues as previously discussed in this thread. So, I called Rob Roberts shop and spoke with a guy there and he recommended not only trying different shims, but to slightly loosed the cap on top of the magazine tube by 2 or 3 clicks. I gave this a try and it seemed to help some; I went from an 80/20 to roughly a 70/30. Just curious, has anyone else here tried this with better or worse results?

Edited 19 hours ago by GregP

Well, after further testing the "loosened nut" it must have been a coincidence that the next few shots would seem better, I am right back to high and to the left!!!  Should have known that was going to be too easy of a fix!

Edited by GregP

I am quite sure it will not be what I want to hear. In addition, I see where some people comment that the gun is supposed to shoot high as it is european! Well, I am sure I am not the first to think of this, but can they please explain to me why my other Benelli's and Beretta's don't shoot high!?!?!