M1014 “Indirect” Loading Procedure

SSP

Can anyone shed light on the “Indirect” method of chambering a round from the magazine? I can’t make sense of the manual’s instructions (pg. 32). It says:

B) indirect procedure

1) open the bolt and hold it in this position through the cocking lever. Press in the same time, the cartridge drop lever, so that the first cartridge in the magazine drops into the carrier.

2) Release the cocking lever: the bolt will push the cartridge on the carrier into the chamber and stop in the closed position

What does it mean to press the cartridge drop lever “in the same time”? Simultaneously? Or after fully opening the bolt? When I open the bolt and then press the CDL, the bolt stays locked open upon release and does not return to the closed position…it would seem pressing the CDL prevents the bolt assembly from closing.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person to respond to this but I'll give it a try and make a suggestion.

The M4 has an interesting and sometimes confusing "manual of arms", at least to me, a non shotgun type person.

It is saying indirect because you are loading the magazine and then letting the shotgun action load the chamber.  A direct load would be to pull the bolt back and drop a shell in through the ejection port, let the bolt go and the shell goes directly into the chamber.

You have to know about the cartridge drop because if the trigger has not been pulled and the shotgun has been cocked, you can rack the bolt all day long and it won't load a shell unless you hit that cartridge drop.   This can be very handy for switching out slugs and buckshot. 

So a suggestion would be to buy 4, or 5 or more Dummy shotgun shells and play around with them.  Will help with your next task which is to learn Ghost Loading, it comes after the indirect loading lesson!

?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Les_Garten! So ironic, I ordered dummy shells yesterday. Per your recommendation, will have to test the spring action of the tube and cartridge drop button with this method.

The ghost load actually seems more intuitive as you’re sneaking a round in  the ejection port in that instance? Will practice the former and let you know. Been an over-under guy most my life with shotguns so this is green as a blade of grass to me

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SSP said:

Thanks Les_Garten! So ironic, I ordered dummy shells yesterday. Per your recommendation, will have to test the spring action of the tube and cartridge drop button with this method.

The ghost load actually seems more intuitive as you’re sneaking a round in  the ejection port in that instance? Will practice the former and let you know. Been an over-under guy most my life with shotguns so this is green as a blade of grass to me

Good deal!  The thing to remember is that if the trigger has not been pulled, ie as in discharging a round, a shell won't drop unless you hit the shell drop.

So to get a shell moving...   Pull trigger, shell drops at the same time.  Or hit shell drop, and shell drops onto the lifter.   This is handy if you are cocked and chambered with 00, and want to load a slug.  You rack out the 00, then rack again to lempty the shell lifter, and then you can put the slug in thru the ejection port without loading another shell off the now empty lifter.  This is what you want to get down when you play around with the Dummy rounds.

Welcome to the Benelli M4 Fraternity!

I found a video that I thinks explains what Benelli is meaning by indirect loading. It's really a great tip and works great after practicing the thumb index. I did make the funnel in the trigger guard on my M2. It makes sliding the thumb along the CDL much easier.

Edited by SJPotter31
  • Upvote 4