cutting down montefeltro to 18.5 for tactical conversion

msawyer1

Some will say this is crazy.  There are darn few tactical semi auto shotguns in LEFT Handed, which I require.  I have an almost new left hand Montefeltro 28 inch that I no longer use for sporting clays, trap etc.  I wanted to know if the inertial system would still function with 10 inches less barrel.  It would just be a little lighter, I have heard that heavier is not good.  I would next have the barrel tapped to accept my current chokes and a new bead or front sight applied.  New barrels are really expensive, around $475 so I would probably just cut this one down (can always get a replacement 28 left handed.

So all you savvy benellians, is this totally insane.  

Are there recommendations for other left handed semi autos?

Functioning / cycling will not be affected by the shorter barrel.

Having the cut down barrel threaded for the original choke tubes might be an issue.....measure the OD of the barrel at the proposed“new muzzle” and see if the OD is considerably less than the OD at the factory muzzle. If you can post the new muzzle OD (to 3 decimal places) I can tell you more about the choke tube threading options.

12 hours ago, msawyer1 said:

Some will say this is crazy.  There are darn few tactical semi auto shotguns in LEFT Handed, which I require.  I have an almost new left hand Montefeltro 28 inch that I no longer use for sporting clays, trap etc.  I wanted to know if the inertial system would still function with 10 inches less barrel.  It would just be a little lighter, I have heard that heavier is not good.  I would next have the barrel tapped to accept my current chokes and a new bead or front sight applied.  New barrels are really expensive, around $475 so I would probably just cut this one down (can always get a replacement 28 left handed.

So all you savvy benellians, is this totally insane.  

Are there recommendations for other left handed semi autos?

This is easily done by a gunsmith.  Just make sure it’s legal in your area to cut a production barrel shorter.

in Canada, you can buy a new shotgun with a 12-14” barrel, but you’re not allowed to make your own 12-14” barrel from a longer barrel… typical government.