Fixed skeleton stock and 922r

Chipperchoi

Hey all,

I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death but can't seem to get a clear answer with my Googlefu.

I know 922r, along with any other gun laws are vague and BS but just got me curious after watching FFT vids on the matter.

The guy from FFT thinks that skeletonized stocks, whether they collapse or not, pinned or single position tube, is still considered collapsible and you need to replace 4 parts to make it 922r compliant if you extend the mag tube/capacity.

What is your take on this? Mine is not only pinned but also has a single position tube that I cannt collapse even with out the pin so I consider that a fixed stock and thus only needing 3 parts replaced for 922r. 

Edited by Chipperchoi

1 hour ago, Chipperchoi said:

Hey all,

I apologize in advance if this topic has been beaten to death but can't seem to get a clear answer with my Googlefu.

I know 922r, along with any other gun laws are vague and BS but just got me curious after watching FFT vids on the matter.

The guy from FFT thinks that skeletonized stocks, whether they collapse or not, pinned or single position tube, is still considered collapsible and you need to replace 4 parts to make it 922r compliant if you extend the mag tube/capacity.

What is your take on this? Mine is not only pinned but also has a single position tube that I cannt collapse even with out the pin so I consider that a fixed stock and thus only needing 3 parts replaced for 922r. 

The reason you must replace 4 parts instead of 3, is because the buttstock and PG are being counted as 2 parts instead of 1, as they are physically 2 parts, meaning you need more US made parts to fall under the correct amount of parts. This is specifically spelled out in 922r, describing each as a separate part. With a fixed PG stock, the PG and buttstock are physically one part, and count as 1 part.

Functionality/mobility of the C-stock does not matter regarding this aspect as you can see for obvious reason.

Edited by Unobtanium

6 hours ago, Unobtanium said:

The reason you must replace 4 parts instead of 3, is because the buttstock and PG are being counted as 2 parts instead of 1, as they are physically 2 parts, meaning you need more US made parts to fall under the correct amount of parts. This is specifically spelled out in 922r, describing each as a separate part. With a fixed PG stock, the PG and buttstock are physically one part, and count as 1 part.

Functionality/mobility of the C-stock does not matter regarding this aspect as you can see for obvious reason.

Ah ok that makes sense. So if I replace the stock with a field stock would that work? Or do I still need another US part since the field stock is not US made?

Thank you for the response!

Currently you need to add 4 US parts from the list.

If you put on a one piece factory stock, you will need 3 US parts.

All depending on what you're trying to do and how of course.

(meaning if you want to "make it 922r compliant"... it already is obviously. If you want to change to a full capacity tube, you need 3 more parts with a factory tube, 2 more parts with a US made tube)

Edited by cas

3 minutes ago, cas said:

Currently you need to add 4 US parts from the list.

If you put on a one piece factory stock, you will need 3 US parts.

All depending on what you're trying to do and how of course.

Thanks for the reply. I was debating whether or not to get the field stock or the Mesa Urbino stock. Found an Mesa one for like 100 bucks so decided to go with that. 

I just wasn't sure if the field stock will lower the parts needed so thank you for the the information. Was confusing since the OEM field stock wasn't US made.

That would put me at 4 US made parts and the c stock will be removed so 1 extra for comfort I guess lol.