M4 IWC Mount Question

Brandon101884

I see that you used the pic rail and associated clamp to mount your light. I would assume that those two left over screws would be the ones that are supplied with the mount to use if you opted to mount the light directly to the boss on the mount rather than to the clamp that attaches to the pic rail.

My 600 is attached directly to the boss on the mount. It affords a much closer proximity to the gun's barrel.

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:26 AM, Evolution said:

I see that you used the pic rail and associated clamp to mount your light. I would assume that those two left over screws would be the ones that are supplied with the mount to use if you opted to mount the light directly to the boss on the mount rather than to the clamp that attaches to the pic rail.

My 600 is attached directly to the boss on the mount. It affords a much closer proximity to the gun's barrel.

Evolution is correct. You can eliminate a lot of complexity and extra parts by removing the picatinny rail section and screwing the body of the Surefire directly to the IWC. You will however loose the ability to quickly remove the light from the firearm via the thumb screw. Eliminating the thumb screw eliminates a failure point that is common. 12 gauge likes to shake them loose under recoil unless you have retard strength.

If you want to mount the light body directly to the IWC, you'll need to remove the two small torx bits shown in your photos. This will remove the thumb screw picatinny clamp assembly. Then you'll remove the picatinny rail from the IWC mount itself. You'll be left with two holes in the IWC mount that the screws will go thru from the bottom into the light body. So you'll need to remove the IWC mount from the firearm in order to get these screws in place. I'd recommend using a threadlocker like blue Loctite on these screws.