Replacement fore grip for M-4

Pa Lawman

Hi Guys;

Have any of you ever seen an aftermarket replacement fore grip for the M-4 that is not plastic like the factory 2 piece unit? I'd love to see one with the same no slip, tactile treatment that the fixed rubber pistol grip stock has. :D

Stay Safe Out There!

[ 12-01-2006, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Pa Lawman ]

Thanks HDRDKG ; ;)

I looked at those, although I loved the fact that it provided a great heat shield for the hottest part of the barrel..........

I thought it was a bit too bulky........and uncomfortable to use.....It's darn near impossible to get any kind of a "natural" grip on the thing.

I am making a kydex forend for the beast. I have a dozen prototypes done but am not happy with them yet. I have also incoperated a flat mounting area for a rail (light or simmilar) parallel to the barrel on the right half of the forgrip. I will post pics when done.

But after months of searching I can not locate an aftermarket forend and I have doubts if SF is ever going to produce theirs. Good luck.

I have the molding down pat. Looks very good. Hand milling the seats and reliefs, however, with a dremmel is a pain, consumes lots of time, and produces less than perfect "one off' type guards - very furstrating....

So I am buying a grizzly milling machine. This should allow me to mill with precision, and thus satisfaction.

Anyway the disign I have now has a two inch pic rail on the right foregrip plumb ( 90deg removed)to the longitude of the barrel and a six inch pic rail running 180deg removed, (along the bottom axis or seam of the two grips.) I am toying with having a piano hinge join the two pieces togeather rather than toung and grove. Any one see any merit in this? regards-d

this kydex has a very aggresive shark-skin like texture on it. However I do agree that a rubber overmold would be prefered. I just taught myself how to cast, I am learning milling now and I will look into rubber processing next. I just do not want the rubber to start peeling away and look like krap.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know if I will ever market this product, certanly not at this point. Although it would not be a difficult product to make in an equiped shop, it is difficult to do with the tools I now have. I am looking into casting the forends out of aluminum, this may be easier to do at home.

Ragnar-AW50, regarding a conversion, the most important consideration I think would be to make sure your replacement has enough material and clearence around the gas piston housing on the barrel and the channel the piston moves in. There is very little material there in the original design of hand grip (<.125 and if there is too little clearence the action may bind. when i get milling machine will post pic regards-d>