828U Limited Edition Silver Heel Cap

BobBenelli

New to this forum, just bought a 828U Limited Edition and it came with a silver oval that appears to replace the red heel cap with the Benelli logo.  The silver cap has horizontal splines and not threads.

Can anyone tell me how to install this piece?

Great gun, by the way.  Thanks in advance.

Bob

• 1 month later...

I just bought the 828U Limited Edition and have the same question. It is surprising that Benelli doesn't provide installation instructions for the silver insert. What kind of adhesive to use, etc.

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, BobBenelli said:

New to this forum, just bought a 828U Limited Edition and it came with a silver oval that appears to replace the red heel cap with the Benelli logo.  The silver cap has horizontal splines and not threads.

Can anyone tell me how to install this piece?

Great gun, by the way.  Thanks in advance.

Bob

I asked that same question from Benelli and eventually got a response from Italy. Just take the screw out and remove the red insert. Then place the silver oval in place. You can use a drop of glue to bond it. I used a tiny bit of gorilla glue on the underside of the medallion and a drop on the serrations on the insert post. Tap on the medallion with a rubber mallet. I used a gunsmith hard rubber mallet (you can by that for cheap on Amazon). Be careful because once you drive that medallion in you cannot remove it. I had to pound on the medallion pretty hard to get the sides to be reasonably flush with the wood. Don't use anything harder than hard rubber or you will marr the wood. Don't start the installation until you have the proper type of mallet. It worked pretty well and looks good. I found an engraver in Denver  that beautifully hand engraved my initials in the medallion with some scroll border work. He did an awesome job and his charge for the work was reasonable. If you want more details about that and a photo PM me and let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the reply.  I finally got someone on the phone at Benelli USA and their answer was 'that's a very good question', and outlined a very similar method of installing the heel cap.  Nowhere near the detail you provided.

1 hour ago, BobBenelli said:

Thanks very much for the reply.  I finally got someone on the phone at Benelli USA and their answer was 'that's a very good question', and outlined a very similar method of installing the heel cap.  Nowhere near the detail you provided.

Good! Strange that they don’t provide instructions because once you start it’s an irreversible procedure. And you can’t get it flush without significant impact with that rubber mallet.