Which do you choose?

John Doe

Which of these do you choose for your daily load? 

Hornady Critical Defense 8-pellet 2 3/4 12 gauge buck 1600 fps

Federal Premium Law Enforcement 8-pellet 2 3/4 12 gauge buck 1145 fps

I am curious as to what the consensus is on these two cartridges. I have had great success with both of them in my Benelli M4 and I think both serve a purpose so to speak. I like the Critical Defense more personally because as it does keep a tight pattern it does open up a tad bit more than the flite control does at shorter distances for me at least. The Flite Control keeps a tighter pattern at a longer distance than the Hornady does. Yet, my shotgun is for HD and I am not shooting past 10-12 yards in my home so I like the fact that the Critical Defense opens up a bit at those distances, but still maintains a tight pattern over other "standard" 00 rounds. I have been very lucky when it comes to ammo recently as my lgs have had large batches of both of these rounds come in so I have been buying it up faster than they can restock the shelves.   

What do you guys think? Interested to hear all your experience on this matter. I have seen videos of people getting all kinds of different results when shooting these two rounds from different shotguns, but mostly have been from pumps, and was curious what the outcomes have been from the Benelli community.

Federal Hornady.jpg

Hornady Critical Defense 8-pellet 2 3/4 12 gauge buck 1600 fps

Federal Premium Law Enforcement 8-pellet 2 3/4 12 gauge buck 1145 fps aka Federal 13300LE LOW RECOIL

With the Hornady CD ammo at 1,600 FPS and the low recoil Federal 13300LE at 1,145 fps this isn't an apples to apples comparison. Naturally there's much more felt recoil with the Hornady 00 buck over low recoil ammo. Personally I prefer the Federal 12700LE (1,325 fps with nine 00 pellets) Flite Control because of not just better accuracy downrange but also better energy retention on target.

• Upvote 2