Benelli M1 H&K super 30 date question

Williehankzeke

Howdy, I'd like to pick one of these up possibly, may opt for SBE, but at this time, the super 30 is what I have a question for. What's the scoop on dating these? I've seen a couple for sale that said Heckler and Koch on them, but they had the high rib, so I'm guessing they were a re-pro that they did around 2016 or so? How do you tell the originals from the re-pro other than through the rib height, if that is even correct...Any info is greatly appreciated,  it appears the SBE was not reproduced as a H&K model, is this also correct? 

The M1 Super 90 is a very nice firearm, they were originally imported into the USA by H&K, before Benelli USA era of offerings.  these will be stamped on the right hand of the reciever either Benelli USA or Heckler & Kock.

The Super Black Eagle was also imported into the USA by H&K for the first few years of orgination.  These will be clearly stamped as well, previuosly noted.  The SBE in the first few years could be ordered in a high or low rib version, most of which were high rib. 

Outside of the nostalgia, there are very few differences in H&K versioned and USA versioned Benelli.  Product developement and advancement changed and improved over the years which is sometimes mistaken for the time of importation.

Low rib versions were often set up with the D Drop shim plate, more drop.  The high rib versions were setup with the C Drop Shim Plate and C Drop Shim, less drop. 

image.png.f8d2be04c1ae5458f15120db5764c235.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:45 PM, remarkable said:

The M1 Super 90 is a very nice firearm, they were originally imported into the USA by H&K, before Benelli USA era of offerings.  these will be stamped on the right hand of the reciever either Benelli USA or Heckler & Kock.

The Super Black Eagle was also imported into the USA by H&K for the first few years of orgination.  These will be clearly stamped as well, previuosly noted.  The SBE in the first few years could be ordered in a high or low rib version, most of which were high rib. 

Outside of the nostalgia, there are very few differences in H&K versioned and USA versioned Benelli.  Product developement and advancement changed and improved over the years which is sometimes mistaken for the time of importation.

Low rib versions were often set up with the D Drop shim plate, more drop.  The high rib versions were setup with the C Drop Shim Plate and C Drop Shim, less drop. 

image.png.f8d2be04c1ae5458f15120db5764c235.png

Thank you  for this very appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still in the market I have an H&K import M1 Super 90 LE Package circa late 80’s. Has 2 stocks, one field and one PG. Two barrels, an 18.5” with rifle sights and a 28” vent rib. I have not been able to locate chokes for that barrel. Also have a 24” barrel that takes Mobil chokes. It has a few other upgrades. If you are interested please let me know and I will post pics. Thanks. 

Edited by Richard63

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 9:51 AM, Williehankzeke said:

Howdy, I'd like to pick one of these up possibly, may opt for SBE, but at this time, the super 30 is what I have a question for. What's the scoop on dating these? I've seen a couple for sale that said Heckler and Koch on them, but they had the high rib, so I'm guessing they were a re-pro that they did around 2016 or so? How do you tell the originals from the re-pro other than through the rib height, if that is even correct...Any info is greatly appreciated,  it appears the SBE was not reproduced as a H&K model, is this also correct? 

One thing that many people find appearing in the original H&K imported model is the ability to "ghost load" another round on the shell elevator. It was designed this way in order to be able to still reliably function if a round slipped by the magazine stop, but some people like the +1 to the limit it offers. There is a notch on the later guns that prevents this from happening. Some people JB Weld, epoxy, or actually weld/braze that notch.
Common wisdom is that all H&K models can ghost load and Benelli USA versions cannot (even within the same model line). This is a very good indicator, but not always. My friend has a Benelli USA SBE with high rib, short lug barrel that can ghost load. He's had it since new so I know it is original. That is very rare. If the ghost load ability is important, don't go just off the importer, ask to see the bottom of the bolt. I've heard of some trickery where people will buy the H&K version and swap the bolt and then resell it. The H&K version generally brings a light premium over the later ones. I've found SBE II's to bring less yet. Below is a comparison picture I grifted previously. It shows the M2 vs the M1 bolt, but this also applies for SBE's as well as other models. The 20 gauge Montefeltro (H&K import) can also ghost load.

Benelliboltghostloadvsnot.jpg.8ae5fbe364f3214f987e490f14b5fded.jpg

Along with the rib, another thing to look for if it is all original is the length of the barrel lug. In the pic below of a couple of my H&K SBE's and barrels from both early and later versions, you can see the lug behind the ring that holds the barrel onto the magazine. Early ones it is shorter, later and ALL slug barrels have the longer lug which require either a modified fore end, or like the SBE below, I just bought one for SBEII to use with my slug barrel and would also work on all barrels, new or old. There really isn't any slop when using it, but I suppose theoretically it could end up looser.

SBEwithtext-small.thumb.jpg.e8e4767c6911fb5eb6f7469d7a79f46e.jpg.

Hope that helps.