Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 not dropping shell from tube after first shot.

With the bolt closed on an empty chamber and shells in the magazine tube will a shell exit the magazine tube when you active the cartridge drop lever (tab on the side of the trigger group)?

When you cleaned it did you also clean the inside of the magazine tube and the follower?

• Like 1

Great insights from Steve, as usual:  You may want to check your Carrier Latch for proper shells contact.  Here is two photos looking down the magazine tube.  One of which is a Carrier Latch that is properly adjusted, correct surface contact with shot shell.  The second photos is a Carrier Latch that is bent, to much surface contact with shotshell.  Thus it will not realease shell from magazine tube.  Your design is slightly different because the SBE 3 uses a Two Piece Latch, however the concepts are very similar.  Photos's taken from M4.

Carrier Latch OEM Position.png

Carrier Latch Extended_Bent.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Rose said:

With the bolt closed on an empty chamber and shells in the magazine tube will a shell exit the magazine tube when you active the cartridge drop lever (tab on the side of the trigger group)?

When you cleaned it did you also clean the inside of the magazine tube and the follower?

Yes it will drop the shell when I hit the silver drop lever. 

8 hours ago, Wyatt Hesselman said:

Yes it will drop the shell when I hit the silver drop lever. 

When the hammer falls (whether firing the gun with live ammo, or dry firing on an empty chamber) does a shell exit the magazine tube?

One more thing...and you probably know this but some don't....  the Benelli will NOT let a shell out of the magazine tube by just be opening the bolt. The cartridge drop has to be activated which only happen when the hammer falls or you manually active the lever.

8 hours ago, Wyatt Hesselman said:

Yes it will drop the shell when the trigger is pulled, but won’t drop the shell when firing a live round. 

That sounds exactly like a weak magazine spring and/or debris hanging up the follower.

If by chance you are using a magazine extension tube you need more spring pressure and make sure the spring/follower is not hanging up on the junction of the factory tube and extension.

Look up “shell surge” ...the situation where the shell in the magazine tube move forward under recoil. If this is happening the bolt may also lock back with shells still in the mag tube.

Other than this I don't have anything more for you. You may need to get your SBE3 to a gunsmith familiar with the Benelli action.

I’m experiencing a somewhat similar issue, but not exact. I’m also using SBE2.

Duck hunting, using 3” Hevi Steel, 1500fps shells.

1 in chamber, 2 in mag tube.

When I fire the first shot, the used shell does not completely eject, and the second reload shell is pulled back, along with the third partially pulling out of the mag tube, causing the action to stop. 

When only loading 1 in chamber, 1 in mag tube, the gun functions perfectly fine. 

Any idea why it is pulling both rounds from the mag tube? Sounds like the opposite of a blockage or weak spring..

On 1/18/2024 at 5:50 PM, nickmaute said:

I’m experiencing a somewhat similar issue, but not exact. I’m also using SBE2.

Duck hunting, using 3” Hevi Steel, 1500fps shells.

1 in chamber, 2 in mag tube.

When I fire the first shot, the used shell does not completely eject, and the second reload shell is pulled back, along with the third partially pulling out of the mag tube, causing the action to stop. 

When only loading 1 in chamber, 1 in mag tube, the gun functions perfectly fine. 

Any idea why it is pulling both rounds from the mag tube? Sounds like the opposite of a blockage or weak spring..

You have three possibilies, maybe more:

Carrier Latch Out OF Adjustment

Magazine Spring

Follower Maint.

Please  PM me if you can not make any progress.