M4 feeding

JustBC

I have read a number of threads about the M4 being difficult to feed. After reading these threads, I am inclined to try polishing the carrier latch being careful not to change the geometry.

Before I do this, I wanted to verify something.... I installed a Taran Tactical lifter shortly after I bought the M4. (I got my thumb bitten by the cutout on the stock lifter.) 

So here are the questions: What is the purpose of the cutout on the stock lifter?

Does eliminating the cutout add enough interference to make loading more difficult? If so, is it worth the tradeoff?

Thanks.

I believe the cutout is just there to help guide rounds in under stress. After a few thumb bites I got rid of it myself and installed the TTI lifter. I also tried polishing the latch to ease loading. Can't say it helped much. The one thing I did try that helped a lot was an M2 latch, but then I would have had to give up my preferred bolt release button, and I didn't like adding another failure point due to the hinged latch. So I ditched it. I can say that just over time and alot of reloading, it's gotten easier.