Latest from Leupold

tucker301

Yes, the eclipse name is relevant to the shape.

The idea is to allow larger obj. diameter scopes to be mounted closer to the centerline of the bore.

One benefit of mounting as closely as possible to the bore plane is to reduce the effects of canting at longer ranges.

I don't know how big this one is, but I was wandering around Zeiss' European website the other night and saw a 6-24X72 mm model.

The rifle looks like a Remington 700 or 40XB, Tactical or Varmint, with an aftermarket stock... McMillian maybe.

The photo was posted in another group. I just copied it to here.

The intro on Leupold's website eludes to the eclipse.

"In 2006, everything you know about riflescopes will be eclipsed".

[ 12-09-2005, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

My saved link to Leupold skips that and goes straight to the rifle scopes page. I went and took a look at the intro and yeah you're right that's it. What is getting my attention is that the scope tube looks like it's carbon fiber in spots - maybe just because this is a pre production model. Goofy looking it is, but carbon fiber -- whew!

Thanks,

G