R1 MOA = Accuracy

Steveieboy

Hello guys/girls. I just got a new R1 with the comfortech. it is in 30-06 but am looking to get the conversion to 300wsm. Here are a few questions:

1. What are average moa you are getting with this gun.

2. Is it gas opperated or inertia opperated?

3. What is a good distance for a quality shot on a white tail deer? Could it go 300-350 yards realistically? with either the 30-06 or 300wsm calibers?

4. Is there any afermarket tinkering to make it a better long range shooter? ex. BOSS System or get the barrel fluted etc...

Thanks to anybody who might take time to give advice.

1. Be thrilled with 1 MOA and satisfied with up to 2.5 MOA.

2. gas with rotary bolt

3. 300-350 is not out of the question, but you're going to have to know and understand the exterior ballistics of your given load in order to affect hold over and windages.

Most factory ammo manufacturers have exterior ballistics tables posted on their websites. Make sure that you also understand that the test rifle's barrel lenght and your own may be different, with shorter barrels delivering lower velocities.

All of that said, you owe it the animal to not take any shot that you're not confident in making.

This means that you should practice frequently at the ranges at which you plan to shoot game.

If you cannot consistently hit a 6" plate at 300 yards, then don't attempt the shot.

4. The R1's trigger is HEAVY from the factory, and is not adjustable. An experienced gunsmith can polish the parts and reduce the drag bewteen the working parts to lower the pull weight. This will help with accuracy at any range.

Fluting the already pencil thin barel would be dumb.

Developing hand loads specifically for the given rifle always helps.

Shooting at longer ranges also involves having excellent optics that are properly mounted, as well as making sure that you understand the effects of canting a gun that was sighted in on level.

For the most part, if you're looking for a long range whitetail rifle, you've already made a mistake by buying a semi-auto with a lightweight barrel and a skinny forearm.

A quality bolt gun is the only way to go for long range shooting on any game, and then only with lots and lots of practice.

Deerslayer, this is Steveiboy, I am just not at my normal pc at my office today. (day off!!!)

I got the comfortech in the 30/06 rifle 22 brl.

I love the way this gun is shaped and the features, I just don't kow if I want it as my primary rifle... I'm of the school that one rifle is all one should have so I want one that will do anything, short, long, medium distances... I like an auto loader because obviously there are quicker follow up shots.

THe only reason I want to use just one rifle is the scope issues. I have to have a strong scope (swavorski) and don't want to pay to have 2-3 different scopes, but I may end up doing that anyway, so I can keep this gun and hunt short/medium ranges with it.....

As for price, expect to pay $1,200+

Where in Louisiana are you now days?

Originally posted by Shepherd:

Deerslayer, this is Steveiboy, I am just not at my normal pc at my office today. (day off!!!)

I got the comfortech in the 30/06 rifle 22 brl.

I love the way this gun is shaped and the features, I just don't kow if I want it as my primary rifle... I'm of the school that one rifle is all one should have so I want one that will do anything, short, long, medium distances... I like an auto loader because obviously there are quicker follow up shots.

THe only reason I want to use just one rifle is the scope issues. I have to have a strong scope (swavorski) and don't want to pay to have 2-3 different scopes, but I may end up doing that anyway, so I can keep this gun and hunt short/medium ranges with it.....

As for price, expect to pay $1,200+

Where in Louisiana are you now days?

I suppose you could spend as much as you did on the gun and have a custom barrel built for the rifle, but it seems a silly route to take.

And, yes, it would cost at least that much, due to the special tooling required.

When a rifle is fired, the barrel flexes ever so slightly. This movement can be in a range between uniform and consistent to erratic and random.

A BOSS system tunes the harmonics of the barrel in order to find a sweet spot that works well with the given load.

Limbsaver also makes a slip "deresonator" which attempts to do the same thing.

Fluting is more about weight reduction and cooling than it is about stability.

It sounds to me like you're in the market for something more along the lines of a long range AR type rifle, which already is built with the options you seek.

Depending on local regulations regarding calibers for deer, you can get one in .223, .308, and even 300 WSM.

These rifles would be capable of the kind of performance you're seeking, straight from the factory, AND at a cost equal to or less than that of the R1.