feeding my m4

blood hound

just picked up my new to me M4 and im dying to take it to the range

i got a few boxes of

federal classic 2-3/4 1oz HP

federal premium 2-3/4 1oz low recoils

and brenneke tactical 2-3/4 home defense loads

anyone know how good if at all any of these will work in the gun? also...never put slugs through a gun with a choke on it before...only smoothbore shotguns...do i remove the choke or what?

sorry im new to the whole tactical shotgun thing

just picked up my new to me M4 and im dying to take it to the range

i got a few boxes of

federal classic 2-3/4 1oz HP

federal premium 2-3/4 1oz low recoils

and brenneke tactical 2-3/4 home defense loads

anyone know how good if at all any of these will work in the gun? also...never put slugs through a gun with a choke on it before...only smoothbore shotguns...do i remove the choke or what?

sorry im new to the whole tactical shotgun thing

you have gotta have choke installed no matter what rounds ya use, will damadge threads with it removed which is not good, maybe read manual before using? just a thought?

Bloodhound,

As HOgwild said, always have a choke installed. I was taught to use only cylinder choke for slugs, but you can find various opinions on that if you search this forum. Also, those other federal loads will work fine but I would save the low recoil stuff until after you've broken in your shotty with heavy or standard loads first. Again, a search of the forums have several posts regarding M4 breakin. I only shot 100 rounds before I felt mine was broken in, but your mileage may vary...Congrats!

I would recommend IC for shooting Slugs.

Look at this chart:

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/remchoke_specs.asp

Remington uses the same diameter for IC and their rifled chokes (specially for slugs).

If you meassure slug barrels they usually have a typical IC diameter.

My M4 came with a Modified Choke only. It is perfectly save to shoot rifled slugs (Brenneke style).

Can anyone confirm which choke is used by our troop in the field?

Everything from CYL to Skeet and IC seems to be the best for slugs and buck. What range are you shooting at? Different guns will do different things as well as different loads. You have to experiment with different chokes and loads at different ranges. One M4 shoots real good with a Skeet chk, the other likes a Cyl.chk. Both like a IC at 30+ yards though. Have fun experimenting!