SBE II and Light Loads

RajunCajun

Does anyone have any tips/ideas as to how to get an SBEII to cycle 1 oz and /or 7/8 oz loads? I read that it needs to be "broken in" with 3 boxes of high brass...tried that...doesnt work. It still will not cycle light loads. It will primarily be used as a waterfowl gun, but I do occassionally shoot skeet with it. Thanks

Firstly, you need to understand that the manufacturer recommends loads no lighter than 3 dram 1-1/8 oz. So you're asking the gun to do things it wasn't designed to do.

Surecycle makes replacement recoil assemblies for Benelli shotguns.

Some claim they work well with lighter loads.

You'd probably want to confirm that with the company before ordering.

Try some 3.5" Turkey rounds, about 2 or 3 boxes and see if that changes anything? Mine has not missed a lick since i broke it in i have had no problems with the lighter loads you mentioned, guess i was lucky? I would suggest a nice O/U for range anyway much more practical application. My range will only allow one shell in shotgun at a time unless you are shooting doubles, Trap also only 1 shell which makes for tired wrists after 4 or 5 rounds! O/U will allow you to have different chokes for different shots if you desire.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any tips/ideas as to how to get an SBEII to cycle 1 oz and /or 7/8 oz loads? I read that it needs to be "broken in" with 3 boxes of high brass...tried that...doesnt work. It still will not cycle light loads. It will primarily be used as a waterfowl gun, but I do occassionally shoot skeet with it. Thanks

I have a SBE II and I had the same problem while shooting clays. I shot 2 boxes of my cartridges that day and thought I would buy a box of cartridges from the club, but that was a mistake.

Because the SBE II has the Inertia system and is made to shoot 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 loads, it needs cartridges cartridges with high velocity so the recoil is hard enough. Otherwise, when the recoil is to smooth, your inertia system don't work. The first cartridge might get out, but not the second one. There is 2 3/4 cartridges you can use such as the Lyalvale Express World Cup with 1500 f/s velocity. This is fast enough to make the inertia system work properly when you shoot clays. You're allowed to use it in clubs as it's still a 28 gms.

And obviously, if you want to break your gun, the heavy loads such as the Remington Magnum Turkey loads in the 3 1/2 will cycle easy ! :) I don't think you will shoot 50 of the turkey loads in one go, otherwise, you will be in pain and feel the recoil. It does kick a lot. But with the SBE II, always remember that if you use 2 3/4 cartridges, you need at least 1500 feet/second. That's what my gun dealer told me and I never had problems since I use 2 3/4 with 1500 f/s.

Martin