Serial numbers

Teufel-hunden

Does anybody know why the M4 barrel is serialized? (different barrel # from the receiver #)

I have never seen this and the dealer I bought it from said the same thing.

Semper Fi

"As far as Billary and the Brady bunch...... they are mentally ill and should be pitied and placed in an institution for the proper treatment."

Nope, they are definitely serial numbers- Y016457 on the receiver and

TM20294 on the barrel.

Anyway it would be illegal to even get it into the country and to the dealer if it did not at least have a serial # on the receiver.

Hark.... is that the pitter-patter of little ATF feet running to check their databases? I will save you some time and trouble- I bought my M4 at Simmons sporting goods in Bessemer, Alabama- as for my name, date of birth, political leanings, sexual preference, favorite color etc., well.... you are just going to have to work for them! :)

Semper Fi

"As far as Billary and the Brady bunch...... they are mentally ill and should be pitied and placed in an institution for the proper treatment."

Teufel-hunden,

The reason for the different serial nos on receiver and barrel is that Benelli, like any other modern manufacturer, doesn't keep large stocks of guns in their inventory. Consequently, they manufacture a batch of receivers and a batch of barrels etc., etc. when they get an order for say, a 24" slug barrel or a 28" vent rib barrel they just take a receiver and marry it up with an appropriate barrel (already serial numbered). So, they have appropriate stock control and major part serial no. tracking.

I presume that in the US your relevant authorities track, using the s/n from the receiver. Here in the UK the police use the s/n on the receiver and if you buy a spare barrel that would be tracked using its own serial no.

Kind regards

AndyUK

Thanks Andy,

Good info-

Unless I am wrong our US made barrels do not have serial numbers. It seems like over kill to me. It would take a lot of work and skill to fabricate a "receiver" to add to a barrel to make it function as a firearm.

How is jolly old England these days? I have not spent near as much time there as I have in some other countries but I did manage to get in a couple of nights of pub hopping in London!

Sigh..... I can still taste the Guinness. :)

Best wishes from across the pond-

David

Every now and then they show the Benelli plant on TV (Outdoor Channel) making all those neat shotguns. During the show they mention that serial numbers are placed on receivers and barrels because it's an Italian law. My defense model H+K M1 S90 has serial numbers on both and I believe it was manufactured in 1985/86. I purchased it in 1986.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Many manufacturers serialize the barrel and the receiver and while it might some applicability to parts logistics, it is primarily about universal law compliance. Glock, HK, any manufacturer with a large international market will, as much as possible, legally universalize any gun they make.

In America, obviously, the receiver is the "firearm", but in South Africa and many other countries, the barrel is the legal firearm and hence needs serializing. Benellis are serialized in several places so that all guns are universally compliant with regard to the actual serialized "firearm." This way any gun can go anywhere and have the correct part properly serialized pursuant to that country's law.