super nova missfire

boulder2008

I bought a super nova about 2 months ago , the gun was used. It looks new barrel is clean finish great shape. The only problem is it missfires some times. I wait a minute and eject the shell and it has been struck(kinda scary I know) but itis kind of on the side of the primer. So I run it through again and it fires. I've been useing the cheap walmart ammo. I used some remmington shells and had no problems.At the range on thursday night it did this twice in fifty shots. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems like this with a super nova. Thanks

i would tear it down to the bone and use some quality solvent, lube and grease sparingly and make sure the spare parts box is empty when ya get thru!! also use some brushes and picks to get into tight areas and keep all solvents away from plastics and outer barrel ! So whatever shell it has been malfunctioning on i would throw them and find something it likes! If it acts up too much call CS!!:D

So I went and shot trap tonight with some buddys and tried some diffrent ammo. As I shot I got to looking at the dent my gun was putting in the primer, not so big. So I compared with some of the other guns and they are putting much bigger dents. I also noticed the primers in the Federal ammo were set a little deeper. Anybody else noticed the dent the super nova puts in the primer? Maybe I have a bad firing pin. By the way it misfired 1 time tonight and I was shooting cheap Remington ammo.

i'd send it back to benelli and have them look at it....maybe its a firing pin issue but i'll bet benelli will fix it and shipping is all you will pay. Good Luck!

BTW-Some primers seat differently than others and some guns can react differently to various types of ammo. On a recent quail hunt in Georgia the outfitter was giving us a brand of shell I had never heard of and everyone had problems with it in our o/u & sxs guns....we all switched to Federal and problem was solved. The outfitter swore it was ALL of our guns and not his ammo but we knew better!

the problem may not be the firing pin protrusion it could be head space......a gunsmith could easily determine this for a small fee or benelli may repair it free if it is a defect!

from my own gunsmithing days....(hobby not a real job!) I recall most older shotguns had a .075" to .085" firing pin protrusion but this was getting shorter all the time and it was not uncommon to see some guns with a pin that was .030" and working fine. My specialty was old sxs guns and I replaced (made) tons of firing pins and what worked in a Winchester might not be the same in a Parker or Fox with respect to protrusion! Head Space is the gap or distance from the shell (brass) to the reciever or action and is measured in .001".....some guns need more to function properly.

i'm sure you want to fix the gun yourself but return it or find a good smith to check it out....there can be more to this than simply having a "short" firing pin. Good Luck!