EOTech vs. Aimpoint on an M4...OK, let me have it.

MikeyZ

I love Eotech's on a carbine. I also like the Micro Aimpoint, but for me, the Eotech is a faster aquisition sight because of the 65 moa ring.

Have you actually tested that theory with a timer at the range. I used to think like you did but found myself faster with a solid 2 to 4 moa dot. The ring was all but useless at anything other than point shooting range where you really did not need it. I found myself using the 1 moa dot mostly.

The Eotech is a good sight but I found the Aimpoint slightly faster but less precise.

Pat

If I shoot a shotgun like a carbine, then an optic would help with speed. If I shoot a shotgun like a shotgun is supposed to be shot, then I'm not even looking at the gun. I'm looking at the target with both eyes open (yes, I know you can do this with a good optic like the Aimpoint or EOTech, but its not as fast).

A shotgun is shot different than ANY other firearm. It is an instinctive weapon.The stock IS the optic. A pistol, carbine or rifle needs sights and with a good optic they are pretty fast. I know the USMC puts EOTech's and other junk on their M4's. USMC comes from a rifle mentality and culture. I can see putting a light on your shotgun, but not an optic. As far as skeet not being realistic for combat as it pertains to a shotgun, I guess shooting at motionless targets or friggen pop-up targets is better and more realistic. If I can kill a duck going by at 60mph instinctively, then how hard do you think it will be to shoot a bad guy in the head who pops up or is running. Even at 80 yards, I guarantee you I can put some lead in them. 100% guarantee.

On the other hand, I grew up in Texas with a shotgun in my hand from the age of four. In Texas, bird season starts on Sep. 1 and last till the end of Feb. with liberal limits on dove, ducks, geese, quail, cranes, pheasants, and prarie chickens (especially in the 70's). My point is that you get pretty good with a shotgun if you shoot one all the time and you understand that a shotgun is not shot like a carbine or rifle. I knows guys that are deadly with a shotgun that can't shoot a rifle worth a damn. They are two different animals.

The problem is you are comparing bird hunting to combat. It is not the same. When you are shooting with a shotgun at CQB distances your pattern is not going to be that large. At 10 yard the pattern on my Vang 870 is about 4 inches tops. The M4 is slightly larger. That is not a large enough pattern to just point shoot with. You have to aim and shoot a combat shotgun just like a carbine.

Lets compare a game that is far closer to CQB that bird hunting Three gun. In three gun in open class where optics are allowed on shotguns you will see all the top shooters using them. There is a reason for that it makes them faster and gives them an edge.

I shoot three gun and I am also a firearms instructor for my department. I have to tell you that shooting a carbine and a shotgun is not all that different. I greatly prefer the carbine for most functions. The only time I break the shotgun out anymore is for bears and moose and its always loaded with slugs for that task so its really a big bore rifle. I have very little use for buck shot.

Pat