Thread: Stoeger 2000 vs. Remington 11-87

Hey, I am loking for a Christmas present and obviously I'm looking for a 12 gauge shotgun. I've done most of my research and would like to know which of these are better: Remington 11-87 or the Stoeger 2000? -PLEASE SEND REPLIES to [email protected] and post on forums as well. Thanks

[ 12-04-2005, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: camo3235 ]

Were talking about to differant systems here. Do you want gas or inertia recoil operated. Both systems work very well.

A Stoeger will stay cleaner than the most gas system, has less moving parts to wear out and has a more secure bolt to barrel lock up. There new to the market, so only time will tell how they will hold up. The one I tried was great shooter.

The Remington can hande 3.5 shells for those high flying birds. Their gas systems is one of the better ones one the markets and mine has never failed to feed, fire or ejects after 1,000s with out cleaning. Fit, finish and the highly polished blued barrels make them a sharper looking gun. Because they've been on the market for years, there's a good after market of barrels and accories available.

If price is the issue go for the Stoeger, but if you've got the coin to spare I would go for 1187.

I shoot a Stoeger Model 2000 and love it. As Thomas D said the Inertia system is cleaner and in my mind more reliable. I have over 1000 rounds through my gun now and it hasn't missed a beat.

Go with the 2000 in my opinion.

Depends on what you're going to do with the gun.

A couple of points:

Tried & true, the action works, established company (America's oldest gunmaker) more expensive, reasonably good customer service - Remington 1187

New kid on the block, relatively new company, and a new(er) design, less costly, question mark on the customer service - Stoeger 2000

As noted above, the Remington has a gas operated system. Is it complicated? No. Keep it clean and coat the magazine tube with Break-Free CLP and it'll work great, and be easy to keep clean. I used it's sister, the Remington 1100, for trap shooting for several years (thousands and thousands of rounds through that gun) and never had a problem. Daughter still uses her 1100 for trap. Clean the gas system every 500 shots or so, and replace the o-ring once a year, and it's a reliable gun. It's a heavier gun though, and depending on what you'll be doing with it, if long carrying, such as upland game is what you'll be doing, a heavy gun is not a plus. On the other hand, it's the softest shooting gun you'll ever shoot.

The Stoeger, as mentioned, uses a different action. I am not as familiar with it as I am with the Remington. The Stoeger is a much lighter gun, and will therefore have more felt recoil than the Remington, all things being equal. Lighter means nicer to carry all day in the field hunting pheasants, but if you're shooting 100 sporting clays targets, you'll take a beating. I believe (though not sure) the receiver is aluminum on the Stoeger, so it will not last as long as a gun with a steel receiver.

If you're primarily going to shoot clay target games (trap, skeet, sporting clays), go for the Remington due to the recoil and the weight (more weight reduces recoil.)

Tim

I know about the diferent actions. Im looking for one that will get squirrel, dove, ducks, rabbits, nutria, and baybe even geese. im also looking for reliability. if you reply to this please take the poll that i've set up. Thanks

-Camo

Definetly go with the 11-87, I have owned both guns and was less than impressed with the 2000 not to mention they have the worst customer service around.

Yeah you may have to replace the gas ring in the 11-87, but then again it's a time proven operating system that works. The recoil is much lighter on the 11-87 and I feel it had much better engineering that went into it. As mentioned earlier I am almost 100 percent sure the 2000 has an aluminum reciever, and yes it will wear out sooner than an 11-87 , but it will still last a long time.

I would say spend a little more and get the Remington, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks
    Hiller

I couldn't tell you much about the 11-87 personally. I have a couple of buddies that shoot the 11-87 and like them. I shoot a stoeger 2000. I've had it for 2 seasons now and love. I've never had any problems with it.

I've never owned an 11-87 but have an 870. If I had to do it over, I would probably spend the extra cash and buy an 11-87. If something ever goes wrong with the 11-87, Remington will take care of it. I haven't heard too many positive comments on Stoeger's customer service.

As mentioned earlier I am almost 100 percent sure the 2000 has an aluminum reciever, and yes it will wear out sooner than an 11-87 , but it will still last a long time.
    The reciever is aluminum as is the reciever on a Benelli. Check the Benelli site it explains how it is possible to use aluminum with this action.

-Lowedog

both guns are good. If you do a lot of walking for upland go with the stoeger. If you are just going to use it for waterfowling go for the 11-87. They soak up more recoil then the 2000. I just got my stoeger this year for duck and goose hunting. I put on a limbsaver on instead of the stock one and havent worried about the recoil. On the 11-87 remember you have a recoil spring in the stock to clean. If you dont it will rust and your gun will not function right. they do make a stainless steel spring for them.