Thoughts on guns.

Base7ballrj

I'm a left handed shooter and have been debating between a few different guns. I like the M2 field, and like the SBEII, but the eagle is a little too pricey for me. I shoot a lot of trap, and haven't really hunted much, but i might hunt in the future.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on these guns or any other lefty guns?

Any input is appreciated.

I also am left handed and baught the m2 a year ago i have traded it in fore the superblack eagle I hunt a lot of water foul and shoot every weekend at the club either trap,skeet ,or sporting clays its an aussem gun ,what will you be hunting water foul or turkey i would sugest the black eagle but i would imagine there will be several people jump all over this , in the end there both great guns ,. good luck

I also am left handed and baught the m2 a year ago i have traded it in fore the superblack eagle I hunt a lot of water foul and shoot every weekend at the club either trap,skeet ,or sporting clays its an aussem gun ,what will you be hunting water foul or turkey i would sugest the black eagle but i would imagine there will be several people jump all over this , in the end there both great guns ,. good luck

I agree. Do you shoot clays or do you hunt more. The M2 will cycle a little more reliable with light loads, and the 3.5 will be handy if you use it for turkey.

If you shoot mostly clays you might be better served by a gas operated gun. I Beretta 391 or a Browning gold/silver. I shoot a SBE II and love it but the lightest loads that Benelli guarantees to cycle are 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce. A lot of guns will cycle lighter loads but these guns (M2 and SBEII) are made to hunt.

If you shoot mostly clays you might be better served by a gas operated gun. I Beretta 391 or a Browning gold/silver. I shoot a SBE II and love it but the lightest loads that Benelli guarantees to cycle are 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce. A lot of guns will cycle lighter loads but these guns (M2 and SBEII) are made to hunt.

My M2 seems to cycle 1 oz loads just fine so far and have seen them eat up 3 dram 1 oz loads all day without a problem. I have seen a SBE2 fail with 1 oz loads. They may be made to hunt but Tom and Tim can break clays pretty good with the M2.

some years ago I took my boys snow geese hunting at the Richmond hunting club in Cal. MY oldest son was using my 16 gauge auto, and he is left handed and the gun is right handed....I made him shoot right handed.....well one shot he did it left handed and boy did he regret it. When the action came back while ejecting and loading another round, the bolt caught his thumb and almost ripped it off... Thank God I had some duck tape...we were able to limit out thanks to the fix all. My wife ripped me a new one when we got hope, cause he needed stitches..those were the days.

some years ago I took my boys snow geese hunting at the Richmond hunting club in Cal. MY oldest son was using my 16 gauge auto, and he is left handed and the gun is right handed....I made him shoot right handed.....well one shot he did it left handed and boy did he regret it. When the action came back while ejecting and loading another round, the bolt caught his thumb and almost ripped it off... Thank God I had some duck tape...we were able to limit out thanks to the fix all. My wife ripped me a new one when we got hope, cause he needed stitches..those were the days.

I don't think a recoil (inertia) driven gun like the benelli's would be as dangerous as that 16 gauge assuming it's a gas operated shotgun.

thanks guys. i've really been leaning towards the m2 more and more.... i may shoot a lot of trap now, and if it does ok with that, then it's fine... who knows, i may be hunting more later too.. thanks again

So if I am correct, you spend more time shooting trap than hunting. In this case I would recommend the M2 because it generally handles light loads more reliably than a SBE. I bought an M2 and I spend more time hunting than trap but 3" will do fine for everything and I have a camo 870 with a scope and 3.5" chamber for turkey, so I am good.

• 2 weeks later...