A few previously promised pics

Hookster

Mine is a SMOS billet lower. They're sold as LaRue lowers now. I prefer my older one without the giant Texas logo since I prefer subdued logos. If I was buying a lower right now, I'd get a Tactical Innovations billet lower receiver.

The fit between my SMOS and the LMT was very tight. They break in together over time. The fit is so tight that there is absolutely no play without using an accuwedge or similar devices. I'd have to tap the rear pin in while squeezing the upper and lower together. I prefer this to the sloppy fit of my old Colt.

The hardest thing about the LMT piston upper is finding one for sale. What I often weigh is if the upper alone is worth what a ACR will cost next year, and would I rather a lighter weapon? A migration of my equipment to an ACR would probably shave a pound of weight and be a little more ergonomic.

A very sexy piece of machinery, sir! Who's lower is she mated with, and did you have any issues in doing so? I have a fully assembled RRA lower that I'm looking to 'top off', and have been interested in the LMT piston uppers. Thanks and Best!

Hi Reblyell, It's a Bushmaster lower. I'm in CA and I had two Bushmasters registered as "assault weapons" before the cut-off in 2000. If I wanted to use any other lower I'd have to get one with a disabled mag release (no thanks!)

The upper to lower fit is very tight with no play (much tighter than the fit of the original Bushmaster upper it came with) the rear take down pin is slightly tight to get out but no problem. Like SD said "no accu-wedge needed! I sure you'll be happy if you get the LMT.

Also, recently installed a Geiselle SSA trigger that I'm very happy with

Later,

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

Thanks for the info, Hookster, and good luck with your 'Toy'! As I indicated, my lower is an RRA. It has the full A2 stock (as I prefer the 'stock' stock over a collapsible), and a standard A2 buffer. Is there a special buffer that needs to / or should be used with the LMT piston upper? The reason I inquire is that somewhere else in the depths of this forum (I believe it was a thread about the new MR1), it was mentioned about premature buffer wear/damage resulting from the piston drive's cycling. Thanks and best!

Yeah, An "H2" buffer should come with the LMT upper when you buy it for use with a carbine stock. I'd check with LMT and check what they recommend with a full length stock and buffer tube. They are pretty good about answering questions

Edited by Hookster

It will be my pleasure, however the Holidays must end first before I embark on the project, so patience is a virtue here. What are your thoughts about attaching the LMT upper to a brand new pre-ban Colt lower (taken off of a complete, unfired rifle that I squirreled away back in 1991)? I could see that stupid larger hole (with the loc-tite laden pivot screws) being a PITA since I'd also have to get one of those 'large to small' hole conversion pins! I figured I would throw that out there for your entertaining thoughts. Best!

It will be my pleasure, however the Holidays must end first before I embark on the project, so patience is a virtue here. What are your thoughts about attaching the LMT upper to a brand new pre-ban Colt lower (taken off of a complete, unfired rifle that I squirreled away back in 1991)? I could see that stupid larger hole (with the loc-tite laden pivot screws) being a PITA since I'd also have to get one of those 'large to small' hole conversion pins! I figured I would throw that out there for your entertaining thoughts. Best!

Ah yes.... memories of yesteryear..sounds like my Colt AR I bought back in 1976 ($279 back then!). I had to get the offset pin when I put a forward assist upper on it.

If I had my choice I'd want a LMT lower to put it on just so everything matched but I have OCD about my guns.

Later,

Edited by Hookster

• 2 months later...

Thread resurrection!

4446386980_55e4acf142_b.jpg

4446386892_d3eba43a4e_b.jpg

I got my Spikes Tactical 22lr conversion kit in last week. It's a ton of fun. It eats Federal 22lr bulk ammo like candy. Not a single failure with that brand of ammo. It hates Remington bulk pack stuff though.

I had to stick a Bravo Company Warfighter charging handle in it because the PRI Gas Buster was too beefy and wouldn't fit over the end of the 22lr carrier. It's okay though, I like the Warfighter a lot more than the PRI one. The handle is easier to hit, and hurts less.

I have 10 26 round magazines for it currently. Loading the magazines is the worst part. I think I need another 10 to 20 more magazines. It costs nothing to feed this thing. You can piss away a 1000 rounds without your bank account breaking a sweat.

It was very easy to clean. The BCG was nickel plated, so the fowling simply wipes off. The barrel cleaned up very easily too.

I added quite a bit of new things recently. I swapped out my rail covers for textured TangoDown ones that I cut to fit. They match the profile of the GearSector sling mounts and hand stops perfectly. They have a lot more texture than the Magpul XTM's do. I got ambidextrous sling mounts installed on my UBR stock. I added these so I can switch my sling to the opposite shoulder on really long hiking trips.

I also added the heavier recoil pad so I could extend the overall length and move the cheek weld riser to the rear. This allows for a better cheek weld rather than having the gap between the tail and the buffer tube.

Internally, I added a POF roller cam to help with carrier tilt. I bought a variable weight anti-cant buffer from HeavyBuffers. I had to send it back along with my carrier to have them matched since my carrier has an odd ball sized inner diameter.

I added a Bravo Company extractor upgrade kit for the **** of it.

When I redid my rail covers, I tried it with and without the AFG. It was better with it. The texture on the TangoDown panels is great. It feels like the MIAD. The texture is recessed slightly so it doesn't hang up on your gear when slung. Even my wife likes them better than the smooth XTM's.

I may add LaRue ladder pieces to the top rail instead of the ladder rails. Cosmetically, I think it would look better. I went ahead and ordered both black and UDE rail clips. I think black will look best along the spine.

Edited by StrangerDanger