night vision scopes

texas skeeter

i know its not BENELLI related, but figured someone here would have some experience/advice with them. i am looking at a NVRS-F brand new nv scope gen-I for my AR. guy wants 275$. worth it or not? they seem to sell for 599$ plus. and obviously genII or higher is better but they are waaaaaaaay more $$. gen-I even worth the time? thanks skeeter

Gen 2 is significantly better than Gen 1. In my opinion, Gen 1 isn't worth any money at all. The trouble with it is it almost always needs an IR light in dark areas. In places with lights and such, the lights bloom out and destroy the view. These visible lights actually damage the intensifier tube. So you're left playing it safe in what you can and cannot look at. The images are very grainy and have a lot of artifacts present through the scope.

We found that our adapted night vision was superior. You will be reasonably happy with quality Gen 2 gear.

I'm by no means an expert on these things. I've just had some field time with several different generations and thermal imaging systems.

The basic IR LED light is only good for about 10 feet. A new thing is the Surefire Vampire light series. These are dedicated IR weapon lights designed specifically for use with night vision equipment.

These guys will know a **** of a lot more than I do about night vision equipment.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=18

Going with night vision isn't cheap. It's the main reason I never put any on my personal weapons.

Going with night vision isn't cheap. It's the main reason I never put any on my personal weapons.

+1

I will eventually get NV, but what I've been doing is getting optics that I can use with a single NV goggle/monocular setup.

When I have money for NV, I'm not going to be able to afford several NV scopes to mount and zero. Rather, I'll get a single monocular; preferably one which can be both worn on the head/helmet and mounted directly in front of or behind an existing optic.

Versatility is the key. I don't want a magnified NV scope because it can only be used with the weapon on which it is mounted and zeroed.

+1

I will eventually get NV, but what I've been doing is getting optics that I can use with a single NV goggle/monocular setup.

When I have money for NV, I'm not going to be able to afford several NV scopes to mount and zero. Rather, I'll get a single monocular; preferably one which can be both worn on the head/helmet and mounted directly in front of or behind an existing optic.

Versatility is the key. I don't want a magnified NV scope because it can only be used with the weapon on which it is mounted and zeroed.

great point!! i wasnt even thinking about it. i too want to use my existing optics. i just want to be able to toss the nv on my ar and go to town if need be, not have to zero it in everytime. any suggestions on a gen-II mountable unit??