Rifle/Shotgun Hard Case suggestions for traveling (flying.)

taylaboy

Just curious if any of you guys had some product suggestions specifically for flying with firearms? I am heading out to a remote location with some buddies this summer and am going to need to secure a solid gun case. Ideally I would like one I could pack a rifle and a side arm together, and still have some room left over for cleaning gear and extra clips. I Plan on making this purchase only once, so paying top $ is not going to anger me. Thanks as always.

Thanks Tactical. I just bought the Pelican 1720 from optics planet (with foam.) It was only around 200 bucks with free shipping. Looks like a solid peice of gear. Do you have any experience cutting the foam yourself? I am assuming it comes with directions, or if I fudge it, I can get more foam later or something. I appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks Tactical. I just bought the Pelican 1720 from optics planet (with foam.) It was only around 200 bucks with free shipping. Looks like a solid peice of gear. Do you have any experience cutting the foam yourself? I am assuming it comes with directions, or if I fudge it, I can get more foam later or something. I appreciate your quick reply.

They can cut the foam for you, they have all the cad drawing for all firearms. I never cut my own, I'd probably mess it up. :o

You definitely won't regret a pelican case. They're rock solid. The link that Tactical Koala gave you is a great place to buy. Prices are pretty good and they seem to have a lot of options that others don't have...including the closed cell foam which doesn't hold moisture like the open cell foam. I looked into having them do the cuts when I got a case from them but I seem to recall it was incredibly expensive (YMMV).

Cutting the foam yourself wasn't too terrible although it obviously won't be as precision as paying them to do it. To this end, I almost think it's easier to cut the closed cell foam than the traditional foam. Basically I staked out my pattern in the foam with some pins. Then I removed the gun, lined a ruler up against the pins, removed the pins and made the cut. I used a thin sharp knife and it needs to be fairly long since the foam is thick. The key is be patient and go slow. Also try to stand directly above your cutting to help keep the blade vertical.

Peace

• 7 months later...

Realizing this post is from -4/09, and being new to the Benelli USA Forums, I'd like to say that Pelican is a good choice, as far as cutting the foam yourself.... I positioned my firearm

where I wanted it, leaving room for other goodies, sharpened a piece of chalk and drew an outline of the entire firearm. Then I removed it [firearm] and cut through the foam using an exacto

AL