M4 buckshot pattern results

Unobtanium

...and this is why you should pattern your shotguns. It leads to optimal results. I did not have large poster-board with me today, but from previous experience this setup will keep 80-100% on a 22x28" poster at 45 yards.

Get out there.

Pattern your stuff.

Don't be another idiot who just goes and buys a choke, some buck, and thinks they can get results like this just because you have good ammo, a good choke, and a good shotgun. Take the time to figure out what WORKS.

2mxk2uc.jpg

(Sighted for slugs at @50 yards, hits 2" high at 25 w/buckshot.)

Get out there.

Pattern your stuff.

Don't be another idiot who just goes and buys a choke, some buck, and thinks they can get results like this just because you have good ammo, a good choke, and a good shotgun. Take the time to figure out what WORKS.

Good Advice Unobtanium!

No sense looking like an idiot! Throwing out a bunch of lead and not hitting anything is just sad......:(

Hey! What's wrong with my shotgun! :confused:

Later,

Hookster

Good Advice Unobtanium!

No sense looking like an idiot! Throwing out a bunch of lead and not hitting anything is just sad......:(

Hey! What's wrong with my shotgun! :confused:

Later,

Hookster

NO WONDER they laugh at me at the trap club! I may not hit anything but I look cool!

Patterning is fun. I usually buy a box of whatever ammo I am going to use just for patterning with different chokes.

NO WONDER they laugh at me at the trap club! I may not hit anything but I look cool!

Patterning is fun. I usually buy a box of whatever ammo I am going to use just for patterning with different chokes.

To get the above results, I purchased many types/sizes of buckshot and chokes and mixed/matched all the combo's until I found the winner.

I tried

Rem 00 2.75 9 pellet

Rem 00 Supertac 8-pellet

Win-lite 00 9-pellet

Federal Flite Control

Rem 3" 000

Rem 2.75" 000

Winchester Super X 00 2.75"

Remington 0 2.75

Remington 2.75" #4

Remington 3" #4

Winchester 3" 000

Federal 2.75" 000

Probably a few others.

I tried:

Briley IC/MOD/IMOD/Full

Kick's Buckkicker chokes in all constrictions

Primos Dead-Deer choke

Some would throw good patterns at 20 yards, but totally fall apart at 30-45 yards. It took a lot of work to find a combo that would throw a pattern that was tight, even, and expanded in a linear instead of exponential fashion with distance.

You will notice that the shot seems "strung" a little-bit up/down. My other M4's did this as well. I think it has to do with the fact that before the charge exits the barrel, the weapon has already recoiled over 1/2" The shot is exiting the muzzle during recoil. Ergo, it is going to have a SLIGHT verticle stringing. Just my experience and analysis.

Edited by Unobtanium

To get the above results, I purchased many types/sizes of buckshot and chokes and mixed/matched all the combo's until I found the winner.

I tried

Rem 00 2.75 9 pellet

Rem 00 Supertac 8-pellet

Win-lite 00 9-pellet

Federal Flite Control

Rem 3" 000

Rem 2.75" 000

Winchester Super X 00 2.75"

Remington 0 2.75

Remington 2.75" #4

Remington 3" #4

Winchester 3" 000

Federal 2.75" 000

Probably a few others.

I tried:

Briley IC/MOD/IMOD/Full

Kick's Buckkicker chokes in all constrictions

Primos Dead-Deer choke

Some would throw good patterns at 20 yards, but totally fall apart at 30-45 yards. It took a lot of work to find a combo that would throw a pattern that was tight, even, and expanded in a linear instead of exponential fashion with distance.

You will notice that the shot seems "strung" a little-bit up/down. My other M4's did this as well. I think it has to do with the fact that before the charge exits the barrel, the weapon has already recoiled over 1/2" The shot is exiting the muzzle during recoil. Ergo, it is going to have a SLIGHT verticle stringing. Just my experience and analysis.

Thats some awesome data. I wish I had the bank to be able to do that myself. Do you really think the recoil makes that much of a difference when all those pellets are leaving the barrel so close together? I wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference in the POI for the whole shot string. Your probably right, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Thats some awesome data. I wish I had the bank to be able to do that myself. Do you really think the recoil makes that much of a difference when all those pellets are leaving the barrel so close together? I wouldn't think it makes that much of a difference in the POI for the whole shot string. Your probably right, I'm just thinking out loud here.

It's the only thing I can think of. All 3 of my M4's have done this.

I'd have to say you are on track (but I am no pro ;) ) I can't think of any other reason it would string out up and down.

I have even seen the highly reguarded VanComp's only spread up and down.

Consider. IF you fail to follow-through with a swing, you will miss the clay/bird. Why then should movement under recoil (we know for a fact the weapon recoils while the shot is leaving the bore) not also have a very minor effect on pattern?