Assuming no bells and whistles: M2 or M4?

Newaza

Okay here is the answer in another question...which one did the military decide to use? the M2 or M4?.....and why would they have decided on the M4? when you figure out the answers to that you will not even have a question on which shotgun is the one for you!.......OR you could always just get one of each :D

Since the M4 is gas operated, I assume it gets fouled up a lot more, and must be cleaned more often? Assuming that you use standard OO buck, do you think the systems are equally reliable, or would you still give the edge to the M4? I assume the military went with the M4 because it will more reliably feed a wide range of loads, and it will take all the extra add-ons without compromising the reliability factor.

[ 07-09-2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Newaza ]

The answer is simple. M4. I assume you are using it as a tactical/defense gun. The M2 is an outstanding weapon but being recoil operated if it is not seated in your shoulder correctly it WILL JAM. In a high stress situation I wouldn't bet on even the most highly trained individual to seat the weapon properly and neither would the U.S. Marine Corps.

Besides, you cant shoot the M2 around corners...

Originally posted by Newaza:

Since the M4 is gas operated, I assume it gets fouled up a lot more, and must be cleaned more often? Assuming that you use standard OO buck, do you think the systems are equally reliable, or would you still give the edge to the M4? I assume the military went with the M4 because it will more reliably feed a wide range of loads, and it will take all the extra add-ons without compromising the reliability factor.

I think you're exactly right. Benelli designed the M4 to work with the attachments that the military uses. The inertia system of the M1/M2 will not always function reliably with attachments. Otherwise, the M4 is no more reliable than the M2. If you avoid light target loads and don't hang lights, side saddles, scopes, and other doodads on the gun there is no reliability advantage to the M4.

If you plan on using attachments or if you just like the coolness factor, go for the M4. Otherwise you can save quite a bit of money and still have a fine weapon with the M2.