M1014 into a bird gun?

RED3171

What would it take to turn my tactical M1014 12 gauge into an upland bird and duck shotgun? I know I can change out the adjustable stock that it came with, but what barrel will work if I want to use IC, M, and F chokes for different types of hunting?

Thanks,

Red

the stock 18 inch barrel has replaceable choke tubes. you could add the regular stock from brownells. the 18 would be ok for upland birds but probably not ducks and I dont know is there a state law on barrel length for hunting ?.

it seems your question really is - where can i get get a 28 to 30 inch barrel for the M4 ?

the stock 18 inch barrel has replaceable choke tubes. you could add the regular stock from brownells. the 18 would be ok for upland birds but probably not ducks and I dont know is there a state law on barrel length for hunting ?.

it seems your question really is - where can i get get a 28 to 30 inch barrel for the M4 ?

The M1014 does not have threads in the barrel for choke tubes. Only the factory m4's had that.

Yes, I should update my question to what 28" barrel (with interchangeable chokes) would fit my M1014? The stock part is easy, I'm just not sure about what barrels will interchange. If it turns out I like bird hunting, I'll buy a dedicated bird gun, but until then I want to try to go this route.

I believe that the M-4 barrels are 19", 19" or 19". The M4 design is specific to that gun and I have not seen a field gun based upon the M4 design. If you have choke tubes run what you have. I don't know that the Benelli stock shims would work on a fixed field stock. If they would, have the shotgun fit to you and run the short barrel with a modified choke. It will swing very fast but for upland birds that is not bad, For ducks and geese you will have to install a magazine limiter (plug) limiting the magazine to two. If you can float a shell on the carrier then the magazine should hold only one (the limit is three shells in your shotgun including the one in the chamber for migratory fowl).

Pat

I believe that the M-4 barrels are 19", 19" or 19". The M4 design is specific to that gun and I have not seen a field gun based upon the M4 design. If you have choke tubes run what you have. I don't know that the Benelli stock shims would work on a fixed field stock. If they would, have the shotgun fit to you and run the short barrel with a modified choke. It will swing very fast but for upland birds that is not bad, For ducks and geese you will have to install a magazine limiter (plug) limiting the magazine to two. If you can float a shell on the carrier then the magazine should hold only one (the limit is three shells in your shotgun including the one in the chamber for migratory fowl).

Pat

i think you are right after more google there only seems to be the 18.5 and the 14.5. no other barrel would fit unless it had the M4 gas pistons. it seems the M2 would be better as the double duty gun ?

Thanks for all the replies. I think what I'll do is just get a dedicated camo bird gun. Both of my shotguns are tactical types, and since I am just getting into bird hunting, I wanted to try it out with my Benelli. I'll save up my pennies and take a look at the M2 series or comparable.

Thanks again!

Red

What would it take to turn my tactical M1014 12 gauge into an upland bird and duck shotgun? I know I can change out the adjustable stock that it came with, but what barrel will work if I want to use IC, M, and F chokes for different types of hunting?

Thanks,

Red

wow,,didn;t think there was anyone left from the early days,,thought I reconized the name.