M4 Hard to load?

match308

My new M4 is difficult to load even with the 1st round into an empty tube. It snags the shell at the base on the small metal finger-like strip of metal on the left side of the receiver. Anyone have a quick fix? I am suppressing the dremel instinct that is influencing me. Thanks for any guidance.

Match308, If I understand you correctly, it sounds like your talking about part #057J (The Shell Stop). If so, take a look at the Shell Stop Spring part #058J to see if it is seated correctly. Sounds to me like it is either broken or sitting horizontal. The tension of this spring keeps the Shell Stop depressed in and away so your able to feed the magazine properly.

Match308, I personally would NOT dremel any part of the Shell Stop. Let say you dremel too much off, then when you proceed to lock your bolt back to eject a “00” buck round to throw in a Slug round, your Shell Stop will NOT stop the shells in your Magazine Tube. This will create a continuous feeding on to the Carrier. What I would check next is; place your M4 upside down, where you can look into the bottom of your receiver. Take your Charging Handle and charge your shotgun (UNLOADED). Then take your dummy round and proceed to feed your magazine tube. Watch closely to see if your Shell Stop is moving out of the way. If it doesn’t move, or is hard to move, it could be that there is something lodged behind the Shell Stop, not permitting it to maneuver out of the way. To do this, you’ll have to remove the Shell Stop or take an air compressor and blow behind the Shell Stop while you work it in and out.

Some of the guys on this forum call it a “Bolt Release” for it also releases your bolt. The most I would do, if there isn’t particles behind the Shell Stop, is “Polish” (and maybe that’s what you meant by dremel) the area where the rim of your cartridge slides up and over the Shell Stop. But again, I would do this after you have checked to see if some metal shavings from the factory, or foreign part isn’t behind the Shell Stop. Or you could take your Shotgun back to see if your Firearm dealer to see if he will swap it out for another shotgun. Most likely they’ll ask you to call Benelli for warranty. Never hurts to try though. Maybe Benelli will just send you a new part (shell stop). I don’t know how well their customer service is, I never had to deal with them. Hope this helps, let us know how this project turns out, and Happy New Year!

Its closed. The shell stop is just too tight. I may just remove it and bend it, but I want Benellis take 1st.

Before you load your M4, is the the rotating bolt head completley engaged, as in slammed home? The bolt must be all the way closed or you can't load the magazine.