New M4 owner, concerned about legality of the weapon.

TwinGunsLLP

Hi everyone,

I've searched this topic quite a bit on the internet, but I've seen varying opinions on the topic. I recently purchased a Benelli M4, along with the factory collapsible stock and a made in the USA magazine extension tube. The gun came with the stock tube and stock, and I was going to install the parts mentioned above when I came across some threads on the topic which concern me. I'd like to know definitively if I would make my M4 illegal by adding these parts. If so, is the gun only illegal with the two parts combined (so I could install either the magazine extension tube OR the C-stock but NOT both)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have enough going on in my life that I wouldn't want to get dinged over something stupid like this. As well, I live in Missouri if this makes a difference.

Thanks so much.

Edited by TwinGunsLLP
Spelling.

Hi everyone,

I've searched this topic quite a bit on the internet, but I've seen varying opinions on the topic. I recently purchased a Benelli M4, along with the factory collapsible stock and a made in the USA magazine extension tube. The gun came with the stock tube and stock, and I was going to install the parts mentioned above when I came across some threads on the topic which concern me. I'd like to know definitively if I would make my M4 illegal by adding these parts. If so, is the gun only illegal with the two parts combined (so I could install either the magazine extension tube OR the C-stock but NOT both)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have enough going on in my life that I wouldn't want to get dinged over something stupid like this. As well, I live in Missouri if this makes a difference.

Thanks so much.

Thats a 922r subject and you will get a range of different anwsers. Like they will never go after you for that unless you do something wrong, its a import thing not a personal thing. then others will say the FBI DEA ATF and SWAT will kick your door down if you do.

you can go around it by adding enough american made parts. I will lets others that realy know this well explane the parts and how many you need. Or you can just google it

Here's the definitive answer. You need to add enough US made parts.

To add a full length magazine tube, you need to add 3 US made parts. In order to install a collapsible stock, you must add 4 US made parts. Not just any part will count towards compliance. So here are your options:

1. Full length magazine tube. Kip's from carriercomp is the best value. You get a US made follower and a Wolff spring.

2. Magazine tube follower, see #1.

3. US made forearm. Freedom Fighter Tactical has a stock reproduction unit due for release. It's cheap and lightweight. Surefire has a rail system, the m80. I find the factory stock to be a better solution unless you plan on running a AFG on the bottom rail.

4. Urbino stock. Shorter LOP.

5. Carriercomp hammer, we're waiting on this items release.

6. Carriercomp disconnector, we're waiting on this items release.

Currently, no one is in compliance for running a collapsible stock in all honesty. You just can't get enough parts until carriercomp rolls out their hammer and disconnector.

Other posters are correct that no one has been busted for this issue. The ATF has said that they use it as a modifier when charging someone for another crime. However, that is right now.

Do you get a warm feeling about the Government bureaucracies whom are jockeying for funding and viability? What isn't enforced today, may be tomorrow.

So your best bet is to make every effort to become compliant ASAP.

To put it simply, you can put on the C stock and not the tube. BUT if you do this you'll have to replace one of the parts from that previous list with a US made part, I'd probably go with replacing the follower because it's cheap.

Or, you could replace the tube and not the stock. If you go this route you'll want to use a US made tube. After that you'll have to replace 2 more parts on your gun. At this point in time, you're left with replacing the follower and the forend.

If it were me though, I'd be replacing the magazine tube with Kip's tube and I'd be replacing that stupid stock with the C stock. After that I'd go out and shoot some targets, starting with a copy of the 922r laws.:eek: Yeah, you heard me, I'd shoot that piece of paper up until it's blowing in the wind and there's nothing to clean up. More importantly, I'd be enjoying my Benelli M4!