WTS Surefire M80

dprichard

Sorry man. :D

I am still on the bubble on selling it. Was sold on selling it this afternoon. Just can't figure out how I want to set this thing up. Have you seen any stock forends with a rail attached? I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't need a tool to field strip the shotty but this one.

Sorry man. :D

I am still on the bubble on selling it. Was sold on selling it this afternoon. Just can't figure out how I want to set this thing up. Have you seen any stock forends with a rail attached? I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't need a tool to field strip the shotty but this one.

This is the only rail that I found that I liked and still allowed break down. It was not that much of a weight deal for me. What added my weight was the Sidearmor rail. But again, the trade off is worth it. each to their own. KZ makes a rail, and Hookster can tell you more about it, But I like the final look of the M80.

I think you see why I sold you that LaRue mount now.

The weight is deceiving on the M80. It weighs 8 ounces. The factory handguards together weigh 5 ounces. So there is only a 3 ounce difference. The rub is, when you start adding things like the light, sling mounts, rail covers, AFG... and so on, the weight doubles.

I love LaRue gear, but I find their mounts to be bulky and heavy. They also poke the mounted light too far away from the rail. This screws with the weapons center of gravity and makes it feel heavier than it is. It also catches on EVERYTHING.

That's why I'm moving to this option. Surefire Scout M600C on a GearSector offset mount.

007.jpg?t=1298444006

006.jpg?t=1298444119

The Scout is going to hug the rail tight at 10:30. Perfect for thumb placement and won't obscure the handguard for your hand placement.

You'll notice that the rubber is pushed in on the M80. I'm probably going to have to trim the rubber back some. I'm not opposed to making beneficial modifications when needed.

To keep the weight down, use either the ladder rails it came with or LaRue index clips. They don't weight anything. The AFG if you're using that can weigh several ounces though. I don't have the exact figures on hand. If you can live without it, it'll be that much lighter. You can install a GearSector sling mount on the M80. They have several options. Then remove the factory sling mount to reduce the weight some.

I 86'ed the SideArmor top rail this week and installed a carriercomp rail section. That knocked off about a pound of weight. I actually just got back from sighting in my T1 with some slugs. The M4 has a nice 2 foot fireball at night! It's running flawlessly since I did these massive changes over the past month.

Interesting. I bought a GearSector mount specifically for this same purpose but when I realized it was designed to hold the light at an angle that the M80 couldn't accommodate, the mount ended up getting shelved. I'm still not comfortable about trimming back the M80's rubber since it was so much more expensive than the gearsector, but what I might try is shaving down the rear side of the gear sector mount gradually until it allows for some clearance between it and the M80. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :)