M1S90 - how many rounds should it last?

benellimax4

I have a 15 year old 12 gauge M1S90 28" hunting gun. I shoot approximately 500 rounds a year.

How long should this gun last?

Last December, I had the barrel ring shear off the gun on a duck hunt. Benelli repaired it at no charge. Just last week, I took it out and the sling swivel fell off the magazine cap.

I take very, very good care of my guns. But, I am hoping that the gun isn't just starting to fall apart.

I believe some 3 gunners have 60K + through their guns, so...FWIW.

My only concerns would be wear in the receiver (steel on alloy) and possibly wear on threads in the tail. I had a quote for $50 to do Type III hardcoat anodize on my receiver. Cheap investment...

Your barrel ring, just a stressed weld, bro', bad luck, but it happens.

60K rounds would be awesome. Benelli is an incredible company. They fixed my barrel at no charge. It is a 15 year old gun! I was so thrilled with them, I bought a brand new camo M2 American. My M1S90 is now my backup duck gun.

Could you explain more about "possibly wear on threads in the tail"? I am not sure what you mean.

I've been shooting an HK/Benelli SBE for 22 years now and did send it in for ejection problems after 20 years. Benelli replaced all of the internal parts and springs...au gratis.

I believe Tom Knapp had over 500,000 rounds through his M1 Super 90 before he retired it and started shooting an M2.

Keep taking care of your M1S90 and it can last your lifetime.

Last December, I had the barrel ring shear off the gun on a duck hunt. Benelli repaired it at no charge. Just last week, I took it out and the sling swivel fell off the magazine cap.

There were barrel ring issues with early M1's & SBE's. My 1991 SBE cracked a ring in 2000 after maybe 15,000 steel shot loads. Same deal, fixed by Benelli USA at no charge, upgraded ejector plate, yada, yada :)

The sling swivel retaining washer is maybe a $.10 part. Call them if you want a new cap, they might send you one, or just tap the washer back in place. I found a new washer that fit from the trays of parts at Home Depot or Lowes.

Receiver wear is a non-issue to me. It looked bad after a few years, but it got no worse after that....