New Project.

Unobtanium

Exactly what "time" does an AR-15 take to maintain in your opinion? I have fired thousands of rounds through them and had maybe 5 failures that could not be traced to a specific NON-maintenance related cause (improperly re-sized reloads, etc.). Yes, I took them down and cleaned them well, but we already know that that wasn't "necessary". Just shoot some CLP in it when it slows down and you are fine. That is how people go through these 3-4,000 round carbine classes. At most many of them just pop the BCG out and wipe it off and re-CLP.

What year was your friend an armorer for the Contras? A LOT has happened between the non-chrome lined M16 and the M4 of today. From the feed ramps to the chrome-lining to better USGI magazines. It's like you telling me you are a Ford fan because in the 80's the 302 was superior to the 305 that Chevy fielded. It's a moot point in 2011.

I think you have bought into some anti-AR propaganda. How many AR's have you owned/ran? I'm not sure where you have come up with your opinion that they take a lot of love to keep alive.

Regarding your video about the #1 assault rifle, look at the criteria used. I saw that episode. The reason the AK-47 "won" is because it has been around longer, and had a more profound impact on the world. Not necessarily because it is a physically superior weapon. They used "historic impact" as a rating factor. As far as the "bury it in sand", I think the video I posted showed the AK doing rather poorly there while the AR didn't have any issues. Depends on which kool-aid you want.

As to your M1A, yes, there are plenty of factory loads out there that can bend an OP Rod. Just google "M1A hunting ammo OP rod" and you will find quite a few people who have had it happen. Here is one link. Yes, it's just a forum with people talking and no "real documentation", but... http://m14forum.com/ammunition/8244-factory-hunting-ammo-thats-okay-use-m1a-m1.html

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?76604-M1A-op-rod-question&

It's not just fast burning powders, it's heavier bullets, etc. What if in a SHTF situation you come across some 175gr stuff? What if it's "loose" and with no box to tell you? You fire it...bent op-rod. It seems you are "stuck" with mil-spec ammo only if you wish to be 100% sure of reliability/weapon integrity.

I mean, that's pretty far-fetched, I whole-heartedly agree. Very similar to how far-fetched it is to think that with all the automobiles around I can't slop some 10-30 on my BCG every now and then...

The picture you showed me of an AR-15 jam is a bullet-over-bolt. It is caused by a faulty magazine that fails to control the rounds secondary to bent feed-lips. PMAG's and other modern incarnations of the AR-15/M16 magazine do not have this issue, and it is a perfect example of lack of maintenance on this user's part. If you have a USGI mag that does this--destroy it or use it for range-drills only. Magazines are an expendable item. When they fail, discard and attain new. Until the PMAG and L5 AWM and the like came out, the magazine was a real bugger for the platform. That problem has now been rectified.

We can go back and forth with the "jammed rifle" pictures and videos. I guess this will be my next submission of such:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMXKo8fySrg&feature=related

Edited by Unobtanium

Also, what do people actually using these rifles in Afghanistan have to say? Not someone using the pre-courser several generations of firearm back, but the modern "in-use" version?

This is more so given the account of Chief Warrant Officer Joshua S. Smith, the Marine responsible for weapons training and performance in the Third Battalion, Sixth Marines, which is engaged in daily fighting in Marja. “We’ve had nil in the way of problems; we’ve had no issues,” he said of the M-4s and M-16s. The battalion has about 350 M-16s and 700 M-4s, he said.

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/examining-the-complaints-about-american-rifle-reliability/

Here is a video worth watching:

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/m4-and-m4a1-guns/

Now, lets compare *****s to *****s...well, not quite, I'm going to use one of the "least reliable" configurations for the AR platform.

So, which weapon do you want to have placed in your hands to defend yourself at the end of each "test"? I know which one I would pick...

vs.

ETA: Why can I not type "app-les"

Now, back to your friend in the jungles. I have NO DOUBT that the AK-47 was a better weapon back then. The M16 was not chrome-lined regarding the carrier, chamber, or the bore. What happened? A bunch of un-trained Americans got killed over there when this "self-cleaning" gun fed the wrong ammo AGAINST recommendation to the military was issued without cleaning kits. Low and behold! They corroded. They jammed. They stopped working in a heartbeat. Your friend is ABSOLUTELY right. It was a total POS at this point in its evolution and the environment it was fielded in was the worst place for its weakenesses.

Now, what does the M1A have that it doesn't? All its parts were chrome-lined. You say the jungles were the M16's enemy? Because of humidity? Well there you have it. It's just chemistry. Remove the chrome-lining from your M1A and watch it fail hard with not maintenance in 90%+ humidity.

Well, since then, they changed the powder. They chrome-lined the parts I mentioned earlier. They now come with cleaning kits and troops are lubing them correctly (and you can, too! All it takes in a punch is some motor-oil. Easily accessible. Pat Rogers has even used KY on the rifle in his classes to prove a point. It burns off fast, but it works in a pinch.).

My point is that while the information you have is accurate, it is accurate in a historical sense. Much like me saying "Mustang's can't handle, in 1980..." when in fact Mustang GT's are now laying down lap-times that are in corvette territory on many tracks.

Edited by Unobtanium

Regarding terminal ballistics, I like this "bubba" test. Since shooting live creatures is always "subjective" (we don't know the mindset of the animal or person shot, etc. and identical hits can provide different results).

Bubba test 7.62x39 FMJ

Bubba test 55gr FMJ (3100fps handloads, supposedly)

[video=youtube;o-WMeBplZSs]

(I purposefully chose some of the poorest performing and most "commonly found" rounds as a "worst case" scenario).

As you can see, when either round fails to yaw, it's a VERY poor performer. Ice-pick. .224 vs. .30 is a rather moot point. You are talking .076" difference in the size hole poked. That is like saying a .40 Gold-Dot is worthless and a .45 Gold-Dot will knock 'em in the dirt ASAP.

When they DO yaw, you can see how superior the 5.56 round is.

Edited by Unobtanium

Quite nice. VLTOR VIS with a Noveski switch block and a Noveski lower? Is the can you're getting going to be one of the over the barrel models?

Did you photochop the roll marks, or is it that non-descript?

Do yourself a favor and get one of the BAD ASS 45 degree angle selectors. The short throw levers are the preferred setup on the 45 degree model. They're easy to mod to fit a standard lower. The ergonomics are night and day over the 90 degree selectors.They're a perfect fit for the Geissele trigger packs.

The M16/M4/AR15 has come a long way even as recently as the past decade. If it is finicky and unreliable in poor conditions, there is something wrong with it. All proper builds should also have a spare parts kit and tools to address random failures. Any weapon you actually use will fail at some point in time. Fortunately, I don't think Unobtanium is a double digit IQ inbred Contra conscript.

If you're going to get into caliber pissing matches, you might as well skip the AK all together and go to the Mosin Nagant. In most Stateside events, even unloading 308 rounds inside a common US structure is dangerous. The .223 with appropriate ammunition will limit its penetration to a significant degree.

Quite nice. VLTOR VIS with a Noveski switch block and a Noveski lower? Is the can you're getting going to be one of the over the barrel models?

No, it will not be a reflex can. FA556-212 w/the new locking ring.

Did you photochop the roll marks, or is it that non-descript?

Raw footage, no chop.

Do yourself a favor and get one of the BAD ASS 45 degree angle selectors. The short throw levers are the preferred setup on the 45 degree model. They're easy to mod to fit a standard lower. The ergonomics are night and day over the 90 degree selectors.They're a perfect fit for the Geissele trigger packs.

Link? I'm not sure I want to mess with it, though.

The M16/M4/AR15 has come a long way even as recently as the past decade. If it is finicky and unreliable in poor conditions, there is something wrong with it. All proper builds should also have a spare parts kit and tools to address random failures. Any weapon you actually use will fail at some point in time. Fortunately, I don't think Unobtanium is a double digit IQ inbred Contra conscript.

If you're going to get into caliber pissing matches, you might as well skip the AK all together and go to the Mosin Nagant. In most Stateside events, even unloading 308 rounds inside a common US structure is dangerous. The .223 with appropriate ammunition will limit its penetration to a significant degree.

The .223 can be tailored by load selection to do anything I need to be doing.

http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.com/2-BAD-ASS-ST-AMBI-SAFETY-SELECTOR-SHORT-THROW-45-BAD-ASS-ST.htm

You don't have to change your firing grip to return the selector to safe. There is a small stainless pin that needs filed off to fit in a standard lower. Three minute job with a small file. If you engage the safety when you move, this is a huge improvement.

http://shop.battlearmsdevelopment.com/2-BAD-ASS-ST-AMBI-SAFETY-SELECTOR-SHORT-THROW-45-BAD-ASS-ST.htm

You don't have to change your firing grip to return the selector to safe. There is a small stainless pin that needs filed off to fit in a standard lower. Three minute job with a small file. If you engage the safety when you move, this is a huge improvement.

\

Thanks! I am going to research it further since it will make/keep from my weapon going "bang" when I press the trigger.

5278555391_24790b75f5_b.jpg

Here's a shot of mine. The selector is set to FIRE. It feels real similar to how the safety is on a 1911. I never liked the idea of uusing my trigger finger to return the AR15 platform back to safe. Using my thumb required me to shift my grip so I could drag the selector back to SAFE.

You can ride the selector with your thumb the entire time so you have a positive feel for the condition of the weapon. The shorter distance of the throw is a little faster too.