problem with m2 20 gauge forestock

Kent Holce

I just purchased one with synthetic stock. Upon firing the forestock moves (slips downward). I inspected the stock--it appears that it readily flexes around the mounting ring. Regardless of pressure and tightening screw, it can still move. Seems like a design defect to me. Anyone else have this problem and is there a factory solution?

The description of your problem is unclear. Not sure what you mean by "slips downward". Do you mean forward and backward along the axis of the gun or up and down, perpendicular to the barrel.

If you grab the barrel and try to twist it back and forth, does it move as well?

Make sure there is a steel washer in the front of the forearm that the barrel ring sits on when mounted. I've seen folks disassemble their guns, take that washer out and neglect to put it back in, or put it back in between the ring and magazine cap/barrel nut.

Edited by truckcop

Thanks Truckcop,

The aft end of fore-end moves to ground and sticks there after firings, about 5-8mm. The barrel is tight. There is a spring with clip in front of fore-end follower assembly with clip, but no washer--nor is one shown in parts list that I can see. Is there a round washer in the fore-end follower assembly not shown in parts drawings? That could be it, if missing. The plastic cylinder at base of the forearm is present. Any spec on the absent washer if there is one?

These pics are from my M1 20 ga. but I would think there haven't been any changes in these parts.

These are the pieces in the front of the forearm, behind the barrel ring when installed. When installed, right to left in the picture is front to back on the gun.

Benelli-1.jpg

This is the rear of the forearm. The plastic "cylinder" protrudes a bit to the rear and fits into a recess around the magazine tube, in the front portion of the receiver. I'm not sure how the rear of the forearm would drop down if all of these pieces are present.

Benelli-2.jpg

Edited by truckcop

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1114[/ATTACH]Pic on left is when the stock snaps down after firing. Picture on right is with stock flush--as it should be. I probably will just let it snap down and leave it there. I guess I expected more for fit an finish. Thanks for the help.

• 9 years later...

I’m assuming the OP has figured this out since starting this thread in 2011, but I figured I’d contribute just in case there are others who experience the same issue and concerns with their M2 20 gauge. 

The part in question is a rear forend support. It’s unique to the 20 gauge. It’s the piece Benelli uses to reconcile the bore diameter difference of the 12 gauge so they can maximize the number of parts common between both gauges. Brownell’s sells them for around $15 in the event you lose it.