Shell length of Fed Law Enforcement Tactical w/Flight Control??

L84Cabo

So I picked up 50 rounds of Federal Law Enforcement Tactial 00 with Flight Control to try out in my M4. These are the 2 3/4, 9 Pellet shells. Except the shells are actually just slightly longer than normal 2 3/4 shells. Has anyone else noticed this? The difference is enough to limit my capacity by one round...which I'm really not happy about.

Federal also makes this round in an 8 pellet shell. Does anyone have these or have experience with them? I'm wondering if they're shorter than the 9 pellet version?

FYI...I'm running a Carrier Comp extended mag tube.

I use the same ammo (9 pel) and found just the opposite. The Fed LE Flight Control 9 Pel is about 2 3/8 long compared to the S&B (12 pel) that's about 2 9/16 long. If I use the S&B I can only get 4 rds in my M2 14" entry gun, but with the Fed LE I get 5 rds. If it helps, the Fed LE true ball rifled slugs are only 2 1/4, so you can always mix a few in and maybe get that extra round in there (the S&Bs are just a hair too long to get 5 rds in, so if it's that close with you and the Fed LE 9 pel, maybe a few slugs will be enough. Just an option). Also, the Fed HV Tactical 9 pel is about 1/16th shorter than the LE stuff I have. That might add up enough to make up the room you need. For what it's worth, I love this ammo (the LE 9 pel).

Edited by Super Dak©

I too have noticed the slightly longer length of the FC wad Fed. LE shells. I use the LE 12700 in my guns. Full capacity is a little tight but I can useually get a full load in. I mainly had an issue with the FN SLP, not so much with the M4. You could possibly try a Wolf mag tube spring and cut it back one coil at a time to see if you can make the last round fit. There should be no functioning problems with a cut down Wolf spring. That way if it didn't work you could go back to the stock spring. I'd say it would be worth it as the patterns from the LE12700 are far superior to anything else I've tried.

I have a question that's kinda related...I have an M4 on order that I likely wont see until next year some time, so I have a lot of time. I'm a scatter gun newby. I have a number of hand guns, etc., but don't know much about the shot guns. I'm hoping that you guys could suggest what ammo I should use for targets / practice and home defense....thank you in advance! ;)