M4 Stock Issue

bigc770

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and new to M4's. I own a bunch of SBE's but I just got my first M4. It is the LE model with the american flag on the receiver and I bought it as an investment to hold on to, not really to use.

When I try to collapse the stock it won't budge. I can twist it counter clockwise and remove it completely but I can't get it slide all the way down. Am I doing something wrong or did the previous owner possibly jack this thing up somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

[TABLE=class: tbClean viTitleB, width: 2]

[TR]

[TD=class: llt nw][h=1][TABLE=width: 98%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 10] [/TD]

[TD=align: left][TABLE=class: tbClean, width: 94%]

[TR]

[TD]

Hi

This auction is for a Benelli M4 recoil tube that will make a factory collapsible stock fully functional. If you desire the functionality of the collapsible stock for the M1014 or the 11703 models of Benelli M4, this is the item you'll need to replace.

Be careful when buying these items. There are many 2 position tubes floating around out there.

This recoil tube is new and rather difficult to find. The tube comes complete with all the internal parts which are assembled.

1. Receiver Extension

2. Recoil Spring Plunger

3. Recoil Spring

4. Stock Retaining Screw

5. Snap Retaining Ring

6. Flexible Ring

There is a lot of misinformation concerning how to remove these recoil tubes from your weapon. Benelli will tell you that you will destroy the shotgun if you attempt to remove the extension. This is only true if you do not heat the threads to break the thread locker.

Once you've developed the testicular fortitude to complete this project, you must do the following:

Disassemble the weapon. You should remove the internals from the recoil tube assembly. This is optional though. When heating the receiver extension, it is best to have the tube cleaned of oil and debris to minimize smoke and fire hazards. However, the Stock Retaining Screw can be difficult to remove without specialized or custom made tools.

Dis-assembly Procedure

Use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the Stock Retaining Ring at the bottom of the recoil tube. Unscrew the Stock Retaining Screw. You should put a punch through one of the drainage/witness holes to keep the spring from ejecting when you remove the plug. Contain the spring as the punch is removed. Tip the receiver back to allow the plunger to slide out of the recoil tube. After that, you should spray the recoil tube out with solvent to remove oil and debris that might catch fire during the next process. The Flexible ring retains the Recoil Plunger at the top of the receiver extension. It should never be removed.

Receiver Extension Removal

Put the Benelli M4 in a vice for best results. I clamped the vice below the rear sights. Do not squeeze the aluminium receiver. You should naturally pad the vice to prevent marring of your finish.

To remove the tube, you must heat the recoil tube extension's locknut with a heatgun for 30 minutes or more. A propane torch would also work, and be faster. However, a heatgun will be slower and safer. Benelli coats the threads with a green thread locker compound. The nut is common thread.

The nut is a 1 1/16" or 27mm metric box wrench. Using the closed end of the wrench will have the best results. You do not want to apply a lot of torque to the receiver. You want the heat to break the locktites hold. I never used more than one arm to apply torque with. Once it is heated sufficiently, the nut will begin to turn slowly. Continue heating until the nut is completely removed and slides off the end of the recoil tube.

Now time for the hard part. Continue to apply heat to the recoil tube threaded area. Use an open ended 3/4" box wrench on the flat spots of the recoil tube to apply torque. These are also common thread. This may take another 30 minutes with a heatgun to break the locktite compounds hold. Note the depth that the recoil tube is screwed into the receiver. Also be aware that this item must be timed to index the stock in an appropriate direction.

Once the recoil tube unscrews, clean up the threads with acetone or another solvent. A wirebrush will help.

Reassembly

Screw the new recoil tube in so that the threads are flush with the inside of the receiver. This is why you should look at the area prior to disassembly of your factory unit. Thread the locknut over the recoil tube assembly and screw it flush with the receiver. Add the collapsible stock to the tail to act as an index to help time the recoil tube assembly. Collapse the stock all the way so the comb of the stock will act as a timing gauge. You want the comb of the stock to be pointing directly at the center of the rear iron sight assembly. Once you've indexed it to where you want it, tighten the locknut. I highly recommend reapplying locktite to the recoil tube and the locknut. Even if you simply use the blue type. The recoil tube extension is pretty easy to screw in. You can do it by hand.

Install your stock. If the pistol grip portion of the collapsible stock will not thread onto the receiver extension, it means you screwed the receiver extension too far into the receiver. Allow the locktite to dry for 24 hours before you shoot the weapon.

Hopefully this tutorial is clear. I'll be glad to help anyone during their install process. While the job sounds daunting, it isn't as bad as it seems. I'd have a hard time changing the serpentine belt in my truck, but I managed to do this.

On these, I'm only accepting money orders for payment. I'm tired of those clowns at PayPal. I've been a gunbroker buyer and seller for 11 years now. Bid with confidence.

Thanks! [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE][/h][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks for the quick responses guys. If I understand correctly, Benelli sells a gun with a collapsible stock....and the stock doesn't collapse? A little false advertising no?

This procedure sounds very similar to swapping out my stock recoil tube for the Surecycle system I put in some of my SBE's.

I want to keep this gun stock for collectability reasons but at least I know this is normal.

Thanks a lot guys,

Chris

Pretty similar. I'd pay more for a M4 that had this conversion done honestly. The M1014 limited edition of the M4 was released with the collapsible stock, but neutered so that it would not function to abide by importation laws.

Benelli stopped selling the collapsible stocks to the general public and released their 11707 series and later with the 3 position receiver extension shown in the two auctions.

I appreciate it but I want to leave it as is. It came with box and paperwork. One day it will be worth something but if it's not stock it will be worth less. Guess I'll just grease it up and put it away now.

Thanks again guys.

C