FFT forend & Mesa Tactical Urbino stock (REVIEW)

FLAWLS1

I installed the FFT forend yesterday and it's actually a great quality piece in my opinion. It looks practically identical to the factory forend. The only difference I was able to see was the tongue & groove. The FFT forend makes a little cracking or squeaking sound, but only when I squeeze it pretty hard. I read the thread and watch the vid that TKTM started. Everything that he mentioned does still exist, but it doesn't bother me. If anyone does decide to get one I would recommend it. It also fit great and I had no problems getting it on.

My Mesa Tactical also came in today which was a day early, but I'm not complaining. Ha... This is a pretty nice stock and I wasted no time installing it. The LOP is awesome, but the factory LOP isn't bad at all. I don't know why a lot of people complain about it and I'm only 5'8". I really bought this stock for the limb saver and its nice and squishy just as I hoped. I'm happy with it so far (I haven't shot the M4 yet). One thing I don't like about this stock is, the trouble of reinstalling the trigger housing. I installed the stock before the trigger housing and I had to take off the stock to install it.

Is there another way of doing this without having to take off the stock? Another thing that bothered me was the gap behind the trigger guard. The piece of the stock that's supposed to go up against the guard is a little short, hence the gap. Anyone else's Mesa stock like this? Overall, I'm happy with the forend and stock. I'll give a range report once I shoot it. By the way... what do the factory M4 pistol grips sell for?

CarrierComp full length tube, charging handle, & sling are next!!

Hi FLAWLS1!

I was wondering if you thought that laying a strip of electical tape to the tongue half of the forend and then trimming the excess would thicken the tongue up enough to eliminate the shifting between the tongue and groove. I know people have had a wide range of how significant this problem manifests itself. The level it's at in the video that TKTM posted would be unacceptable to me. I'm still looking at these in case I opt for some kind of "rail segment mounted to forend" type of set up for light mounting without drilling my factory grips.

Thanks,

Hookster :)

The funny thing is, you have to be gripping the fore end in a way that you would never employ to shoot it to get the creaking that has been reported to occur. Mine will creak a bit if I hold them just so and make it happen. The damn gas pistons make more noise rattling around than a proper grip on the fore end does.

Hi FLAWLS1!

I was wondering if you thought that laying a strip of electical tape to the tongue half of the forend and then trimming the excess would thicken the tongue up enough to eliminate the shifting between the tongue and groove. I know people have had a wide range of how significant this problem manifests itself. The level it's at in the video that TKTM posted would be unacceptable to me. I'm still looking at these in case I opt for some kind of "rail segment mounted to forend" type of set up for light mounting without drilling my factory grips.

Thanks,

Hookster :)

Good idea... I'll give it a try.

The funny thing is, you have to be gripping the fore end in a way that you would never employ to shoot it to get the creaking that has been reported to occur. Mine will creak a bit if I hold them just so and make it happen. The damn gas pistons make more noise rattling around than a proper grip on the fore end does.

I agree!!!

I had a bit of a squeak (I didn't notice it at first) and this is what I was told by FFT:

Regarding the squeak, you may have 1/8 inch less space between the front and rear forend retaining rings than the bulk of the M4s out there. We've found that to be the case, that about 3 to 5% of all M4s, for whatever reason, have just a hairs worth less space, which causes the forend to be squeezed into place just a tad too snug. It is not a design flaw because the bulk of M4s do not have this issue. We've had two local buyers who we had the pleasure to meet to examine their guns, and this was the case.

It is possible that taking a dremel or file and simply and ever so slightly remove a little material from one end of the forend may eliminate the fit you have.

If you try that, let us know the results.

Well, with that being said, I decided to go ahead and get a disconnector for my 4th US 922R part.