Has anyone tried Dupleks expanding shotgun slugs?

Sukhoi_fan

I've used the Hexolite 32's. they're surprisingly low recoil for a slug. It's more like a 2 3/4 buckshot load. I shot a steel propane cylinder with it. One of those 15 lb tanks for a BBQ. The impact was pretty destructive. It pealed the cylinder wide open. There was an old 60's truck out in the desert. I sent one of them right through the car door. I figure it would go right through both sides of a current production vehicle.

The steel peddles did come off and I found several in different areas of the target. They seem like a good choice if you're protecting yourself from bears or guys in plate armor.

In 10% ballistic gelatine, the Duplex 32 round performed better than the Winchester Ranger Reduced Recoil LE slug load. The tests revealed that the steel 'petals' separated at around the 6-8" range and traveled only another 3" at most. The main body of the lug continued an average of 22". We tested through bare gelatine, jean material, Level II armour, dry wall and glass. All barriers had very similar results. The wound cavity was impressive. Recovered slugs had the plastic portion compressed, but stayed with the steel body. Accuracy was good, but we only tested from 25 yards. Recoil was very manageable out of the Remington 870 14" we use. I shot a few out of my 14" Benelli M4 and the load cycled without malfunction... but it was only 14 rounds. The next tests will be against a vehicle. The one thing that has to be justified is cost... it is EXPENSIVE!

The Winchester Ranger was shot through bare, jean material, glass, and drywall, gelatine and exited the 32" length every time. Level II armour stopped the Winchester Ranger slug every time when tested in the past.

We are still evaluating this round as a duty load, but it does look promising. The other round we were testing was the PolyShok round, but since it is no longer in production, it leaves the Duplex 32 by itself right now. Because the Duplex 32 round is made in Europe, there is some concern with continuous availability of the round in the future. I have heard that a new round similar in performance to the PolyShok round was released, but I still have to follow up on it.

(Can't release more than that due to department regs...sorry)