What are the chances Benelli will replace a defective M1014 stock?

Sukhoi_fan

I picked up a lightly used M1014 in good condition in a trade. Doesn't seem to have been shot much, however it appears nothing but slugs was shot through it as the barrel is leaded up to a fair thee well. The problem with this piece is that the 'fixed' skeletonized buttstock won't stay fixed into the single notch allowed for it on the recoil tube. It's definitely not a problem with the recoil tube as I took the OEM C-stock off my 11707 and it works just as it should on the M1014. A moderate tap on the butt of the M1014 stock will cause it to fully collapse even on the 11707 recoil tube - it certainly won't retain its 'fixed' position while firing, it collapses that easily. I inspected the plunger inside the stock which engages the notches, comparing it to the OEM C-stock off the 11707 and I cannot detect any substantial difference. Like WTF?

So do you guys think Benelli will replace or repair this buttstock for me? It's definitely not usable the way it is now.

It's possible that they would repair it. What I would do is disassemble the stock and compare it to your functioning one. I'd then replace the defective part. Numrich Arms has almost every internal part of the collapsible stock.

It is most likely the plunger or the spring that is out of spec. This route would be faster than Benelli. Every time I have used their customer service, it took about a month.

You would have to be dishonest about the origin of the stock to have it repaired or replaced under warranty.

"A new Benelli firearm is warranted only to the original retail purchaser for ten years from date of purchase. This warranty applies only if the firearm was purchased from an authorized Benelli dealer in the United States or Canada.

Benelli will, at its option, repair or replace, without charge, any Benelli firearm that fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship. Parts and labor are included. Repairs are warranted for the duration of the original warranty. If Benelli replaces a firearm under this warranty, you will receive a new ten-year warranty. Benelli will return replacement firearms to you freight prepaid."

It's possible that they would repair it. What I would do is disassemble the stock and compare it to your functioning one. I'd then replace the defective part. Numrich Arms has almost every internal part of the collapsible stock.

It is most likely the plunger or the spring that is out of spec. This route would be faster than Benelli. Every time I have used their customer service, it took about a month.

Thanks for that info SD. I compared what I've got with the M4 schematic on the Numrich website and it appears I'm missing the retaining pin, part #114 (in the schematic), the retaining pin which is vertical. The C-stock that I have that works has that pin in place but the one on the M1014 lacks it. It makes for very little interference inside the C-stock when in place but apparently it's just enough. Dunno how it could have come out as the stock cover has to be removed for it to be removed or replaced, and there's no way the shotgun can be comfortably fired without it in place. Weird.

Sounds like the original owner was fingering it. You could try installing the pin from your functioning stock to see if it resolves the problem.

I'd recommend getting ahold of a three position receiver extension for that M1014. As usual, they're out of stock at Numrich. It would add to that weapon's value and function. The replacement isn't that hard to do.

Sounds like the original owner was fingering it.

Dunno WTH they'd do that, apparently they were clueless - the innards were DRY and like I said the barrel is full of lead, yet the gun shows very little wear overall. Also, the phillips screws on the stock cover show no signs of a screwdriver having been applied. I'll try your suggestion. I'm ambivalent about retaining the C-stock on this one with adding a 3 position receiver ext., have to see if I can find that part without paying through the nose for it.

• 2 weeks later...