GG&G Bolt Release Pad install

TriggerHappy1

Hey guys. I'm having a problem installing the GG&G Bolt Release Pad on my M4. Yeah, I know... I should have paid a gunsmith to do it right, but I couldn’t afford one after paying $120 for the part. When I reassembled the M4, the new pad ended up resting flush on the side of the receiver. Either I put the spring in the wrong place in relation to the latch, or screwed up the roll pin that allows the latch to pivot. I.e., possibly didn’t capture the latch correctly. Is the spring supposed to wrap around the button that protrudes through the receiver, or positioned aft of the pivot point?

Also, do you have to use the spring and roll pin that comes with the pad, or can you use the factory parts? I kinda chingered up the pin that comes with the pad. Thanks!

Here are a few photo's that might help. The newly installed pad will NOT be parallel to the surface of the receiver until the trigger group is re-installed.....it is the side of the trigger group that compresses the latch with its spring.

Photos by permission: Benelli M4 Anatomy Series Manual

Screenshot2014-06-15at94452AM_zpsed7a2ff3.png

Screenshot2014-06-15at94748AM_zpsa29f9744.png

Observe how the shaft that retains the external button is crooked......after you install the button with its retaining screw, it will remain crooked until the trigger group is installed, then it will appear correct. Remember to gently compress the latch internally up against the inside of the receiver to make room for inserting the trigger group.

Screenshot2014-06-15at94732AM_zps84dc4ef1.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Results: Good to go. I inserted a 12 guage snap-cap shell into the receiver to hold the latch and spring captive against the inside of the receiver while I inserted the roll pin. I used the original roll pin as it seems a little smaller diameter and easier to guide through the holes. This worked very well. I also use a small piece of adhesive-backed felt on the underside of the pad based on suggestions here. Function checks OK using snap-caps. Will take it to the range this week to continue breaking in prior to taking 2-day class next weekend. Thanks again for your help.