Wife wants to going in and I need a better tool

cspcrx

I started going to the local range with my father-n-law to shoot sporting clays. I have really enjoyed it. I only have one shotgun, an M4, which is not the best tool for the job. Earlier this year the Mrs and my mother-n-law joined us and we rented a 20 gauge to us. Now I am looking at getting a Benelli Sport 2 or Cordoba. The weight of a 12 gauge and kick are to much for my wife. I did well with the 20 as well. Not looking to compete just have fun and with the ports and auto feed system I think the recoil will be very soft on my wife. Any reason not to choose one of these from those who have or have used them.

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Weight is one thing and it's inverse to recoil. But recoil is as much about fit as anything. If your wife is smaller, then look at a compact stock for her. There's nothing wrong with a 20 ga for clays, but to be consistent you might need 2 guns. My wife 5 ' 3" shoots an M2 12 ga with short pad. My ride is a full length Supersport. One of the nicest things about the Benelli line is that you can adjust without cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up getting a Cordoba on sale and tax free at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday in 12g. We were looking at a Supersport in 20g but she talked me out of it and told me to get what I wanted because she's worried she may lose interest and then I am stuck. She also said it may be better for her to have her own since the fit is so different. I love her for that, or I should be scared that she figured out a way to get herself another gun. LOL Took some time today to adjust the shims and got it fitted to me. Hopefully I can take it out next weekend.

Edited by cspcrx

I hear you there. Started several years ago and now her weapon count is quickly catching mine and it is getting crowded in the safe!

After fitting mine, I really see how much that will impact the experience. The only thing that concerns me is Benelli doesn't offer shorter stocks just shorter recoil pads. Which means more felt recoil, this still has me thinking the 20 or even a 28 ga might be best for her. I am keeping my eye out for a demo day at the range by us so perhaps she could try some. That is the only challenge with buying a shotgun. Can not actually try it before you buy it, unless someone you know has one.

Finally held an Affinity at Cabelas last night with the wood stock. She really liked the feel and balance. Fit was really close, which is great, price was $849. Perhaps it will go on sale so I will have to keep my eye out. Only concern I had was some reviews said the recoil was a bit harsh, compared to other 20s. This concerns me, if it kicks she may quickly lose interest. Thanks for the recommendation.

Got to go to the sporting clay range Friday with my father-n-law. Just kept an IC choke in it and did ok, this is still a new skill for me. Talked to a couple of guys out there who said the a Mod choke is a better choice for the range we are at. We will be back out there in a few weeks so I will change to the Mod and give it a shot. Overall very please with the Cordoba. Zero failures and ran like a top.

the n-laws are going to get us a thrower for Christmas I hear so no I need to focus in on my wife's gun. They also had a used 48L but it is lighter than the Affinity which will only make recoil worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Wife got me a LM choke for Christmas and the n-laws came through on the thrower! I think my wife was more excited about it then me. Asked here what she was going to shoot it with and she said my Cordoba with the feather light loads. Need to get some more.

Merry Christmas all!