Benelli M4 shipped with no threadlocker

Cannon762

Hello,

Just encountered something interesting with an M4 I recently purchased, didn't know if anyone else had similar story.

My M4 (11715) I purchased new from an authorized Benelli dealer seems to have missed out on the threadlocker station, or they got a bad batch.

My magazine tube spun free with a little force with no heat. There was a very small dab of red threadlocker but it looks like it didn't cure all the way, still very tacky. Almost like raspberry jelly. I've spoken with StrangerDanger about it and he mentioned it being very odd.

Also noticed my top rail had 0 threadlocker on it's screws as well, which I was informed by Scalarworks is generally not the case.

I spoke with Benelli and they said it was a brand new gun, made this year and had never been sent back for servicing. The rep I spoke with (Chris) said he'd never heard of something like that, but weirder things have happened. I called the dealer and was assured there was 0 chance it had been used or even removed from the box outside of checking it in when they received it.

Makes things easier for me to swap the parts out, but I thought it was interesting. Ever heard of this? Did I just get lucky?

Edited by Cannon762

I rattled the rear sight loose on mine, so I don't think there was any Loctite on those screws. My magazine tube definitely had Loctite on it though. Luckily the screws on the rear sight are a special design that won't come out all the way on their own. If they had, they would have jammed up the internals nicely.

I applied Loctite to the rear sight screws when I tightened them back up.

Mike

I rattled the rear sight loose on mine, so I don't think there was any Loctite on those screws. My magazine tube definitely had Loctite on it though. Luckily the screws on the rear sight are a special design that won't come out all the way on their own. If they had, they would have jammed up the internals nicely.

I applied Loctite to the rear sight screws when I tightened them back up.

Mike

That definitely sounds like something I should keep an eye on. Do you recall how many rounds you had through it when you noticed it rattling?

That definitely sounds like something I should keep an eye on. Do you recall how many rounds you had through it when you noticed it rattling?

Many hundreds, if not thousands. It had been rattling for a while. I could tell because it had worn the finish off the top of the receiver at all the high points.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX

I'm not a fan of the screws that hold the rear sight housing in place. You're extremely lucky if you don't break the cup tip off of the screws when unscrewing them. I run into this issue when I'm doing tear downs for Robar NP3+ refinishing. The best you can do is file off the break or replace the screw completely (they aren't cheap either.) They do not have loctite on them from the factory. When I reassemble, I degrease them with a Loctite brand primer, then apply blue 241 Loctite.

No loctite is on the top rail receiver threads. I degrease, then use blue 243 on them, and torque them to 16-18 inch pounds.

It's odd that the OP's M4 came like that. I've found the newer production M4's to have a much more difficult thread locker to break down with heat than the older ones.

I'm not a fan of the screws that hold the rear sight housing in place. You're extremely lucky if you don't break the cup tip off of the screws when unscrewing them. I run into this issue when I'm doing tear downs for Robar NP3+ refinishing. The best you can do is file off the break or replace the screw completely (they aren't cheap either.) They do not have loctite on them from the factory. When I reassemble, I degrease them with a Loctite brand primer, then apply blue 241 Loctite.

No loctite is on the top rail receiver threads. I degrease, then use blue 243 on them, and torque them to 16-18 inch pounds.

It's odd that the OP's M4 came like that. I've found the newer production M4's to have a much more difficult thread locker to break down with heat than the older ones.

I'll definitely keep an eye on that rear sight housing, appreciate the thorough reply as always!