UPDATE: August 18... Benelli M4 Ammo Issues and Review

Centuriator

FIRST, thanks to the folks posting helpful comments on my first post about this.

After a somewhat mixed results after my first outing with the M4, I got it out again today and put 80 high power slugs through it and 100 maximum power 00 Buck. After that, it blew through 3 dram target loads, with no problems. Low recoil Federal LEO? Nope, still choking on it. But...I am ok with the results and will just stick with what is working.

More details.

After the first outing I field stripped it and literally drowned everything I could in oil. It was, to say the least, well lubricated.

I put the 80 Federal VitalShok Truball rifled slugs through it and used a bean bag rear rifle support to cushion the beating my shoulder too. Wise choice. I used the opportunity with slugs to dial in my Aimpoint T-2 that I have on it now, with an ADM low mount.

It was a fun time blasting away with it. I had a few neighbors at the gun club come over and one guy said, with a smile on his face, "What the **** are you doing pal?" The M4 was ripping those slugs out like nobody's business and with ghost loading I had 9 shots. The smoke hung in the air and loud booms followed.

:)

So after I put the 80 slugs through I ran 8 rounds of Winchester 3 dram "heavy target" loads and it handled them like a champ, no issues. No problems. Last time it choked on nearly each one.

So, I tried five rounds of the Federal LE low recoil stuff...nope.

So, I put around 50 max power 00 Buck through it, tried the LR stuff again, nope. Choke city.

I put another 50 rounds of max power 00 Buck through it, and ... no go.

After all those heavy loads, I'm pleased the the rail system on it is solid and tight, no wiggle, wobble or otherwise, and ditto for the T-2 mount.

The red dot on the M4 is awesome. I dialed it in at 25 yards with slugs and they were shooting like a laser. The target "bad guy" had a very, very bad day. His heart was basically blown out of his chest with each shot at 25 yards.

The red dot is super fast for effective combat shooting with the 00 Buck and also with the target loads.

I'm using a cylinder choke, wide open. Good results at the distance I need.

So, ok...it won't handle the low recoil stuff, but the M4 has far less harsh recoil when using full power 00 Buck and I'm very happy I can at least use heavy target loads through it, #8 shot.

AND THANKS FOR THE FOLKS WHO POINTED ME TO THE "KEEP YOUR THUMB STRAIGHT AND KNUCKLE RIDING ON THE CARRIER" LOADING TECHNIQUE. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I shot well over 200 rounds today and my thumb is just fine and dandy. THANKS

So, it will handle this:

10489548.jpg

Good report. How’s your shoulder?

This is tough to do on a live range, but what I do is I bring masking tape to cover over my holes between sets. That way I avoid confusing which hole is which when sighting something in. Something I’ve been doing a lot of lately since I’m going through the NRA pistol instructor school early next month. So I’ve been running the piss out of my gen 5 Glock 34 with a RMR on it to meet the shooting requirements. 16/20 rounds inside a 6” circle, no time limit.

I bring spray paint to mark a center point after I’ve taped over the target so much that the Orange center is gone.

The shoulder is feeling great. I used a bean bag type shooting rest and braced the shotgun against it, particularly through the 80 slugs. Good choice. :)

Wide masking tape to cover up holes...that seems easier then putting up new targets. I can afford to put up as many fresh targets as I want, but it takes time.

Thanks.