Another M4 Barrel Revision

STA

It looks like the latest batch of M4s have had more changes to the barrels, in this case additions to the barrel extension. I noticed on pics of the recent guns online that there appeared to be a flange where the barrel enters the receiver.

I had a chance to examine three new M4's this weekend and saw they indeed have added a flange on the extension that bears against the front of the receiver. It looks like it may be to limit the barrel travel into the receiver or simply protect or cover up the front of the receiver.

The other change was on the end of the extension inside the receiver. They have added a wedge that mimics the shape of the ejection port. I thought perhaps it was matched even with the edge of the port to protect the Aluminum receiver, however when installed it is about 1/4" behind the port. I couldn't detect any changes inside the receiver with a quick glance, so I'm not sure if they made any changes to the machining inside the receiver though I do not believe so.

The older barrel style (up through TM12200 at least) is on the left, the newer barrel is on the right (ca TM14600). Final pic shows the flange against the receiver.

M4_Extension_2.jpg

M4_Extension_3.jpg

M4_Extension_1.jpg

STA, did you happen to notice the other end of the barrrel? I have seen photos that appear as though it has been modified to not accept an +2 extension. The most recent pic's I have seen have eliminated the dummy extension and move the mag retaining lug (whatever it is called) to the end of the mag (away from the barrel), thus prohibiting a thread on extension. Any ideas?

The new M4 I showed was a 11707 and it has the standard barrel lug configuration with the dummy extension. Its fully capable of accepting the 2 round extension provided you can find one.

The pic you refer to is from Impact and it is a old fake that goes back to '04. The base gun is that which is shown on Benelli's own site.

What's ooooooohhhhhhh so sad is the way this disinformation propogates on the net without anyone doing some research before they comment on it.

STA, What you say is true, however I exhausted all resorces available to me to resolve this. I call Benelli (hold for twenty eight minutes) emailed impact guns with specific reference to this picture (they responed with uncertenty because they did not have a gun to inspect) and call my local benelli dealers (they were uncertin as well but stated it was quite possible as Benelli has made many unanouced modifactaions recently). My last recourse was the informed and inteligent memebers of this forum. Thank you for the work you put into this. smile.gif If you could only spare some charity for a concerned fellow enthusiast. :(

[ 02-17-2006, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: deasmuth ]

Don't be so nice STA, hang around and correct all of M1014 and my mistakes OK? Sheese, lighten up, I think we are here because of a shared intrest not to see who can puff their chest out the most.

But then what do I know, maybe some of us are here for that reason.

M1014 has done a ton to help our favorite scattergun, add to the knowledge base, and spread it's fame, play nice. OK?

heck,,if I didn't make any mistakes,I wouldn't be doing anything,,STA is cool ///////////////heck again,,if I knew anything,,somelse would do the pecking of these keys,,,,,,,,now jmikesteen cool too,,we live in the best state for gun ownership,,we are Florida people,,and are allowed too own any gun we want----------even machineguns,,God I love that smile.gif

[ 02-17-2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: M1014 ]

• 4 months later...

now jmikesteen cool too,,we live in the best state for gun ownership,,we are Florida people,,and are allowed too own any gun we want----------even machineguns,,God I love that

Hey..Hey.....Us Texans ,too....Now I do admit we gott'a go thru a bit more paper work for trading Tactical nukes....but ****...Our Blue quail are lot'z tuffer'n yall's Florida scrawny quail.....& besides..the nukes seem ta make em tastier & less cook'n time!! tongue.gif