Three Amigos: Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, Mossberg 590A1

CAUS

PXL_20211121_032623526.thumb.jpg.3d4730d017e2bf44f8fafb48ecbf13f5.jpg

I finally got an Enhanced Beretta 1301 Tactical to go with my Benelli M4 and Mossberg 590A1 SPX. I tried to set up the Beretta 1301 and Benelli M4 as similarly as possible. Although I am not new to Beretta 1301, owning it allows me to do more experiments. Here are my findings. Please take them with a grain of salt, since I am sure that I am biased.

(1) Beretta 1301 is lighter. However, with 7+1 rounds in the tube, flashlight and even the side saddle, the weight difference between Beretta 1301 and Benelli M4 doesn't matter much to me. 

(2) It's easier to load Beretta 1301 for sure. I never had thumb bites with Benelli M4 as some people said. But, I got a few thumb bites while loading Beretta 1301. I am used to push hard while loading Benelli M4. I pushed too hard while loading Beretta 1301. My thumb got into the mag tube too deeply. It caused the thumb bites when I pulled out my thumb. So, this is my fault, not Beretta's. Why does Benelli make it so hard to load? Well, if you drop the shotgun from 5 feet above, no shell would come out of the mag tube and cause malfunction. It might be ok with Beretta 1301. But, I am not sure about Mossberg 590A1, which is way too easy to load. But, 590A1 is a pump shotgun. If a shell accidently comes out of the mag tube, you just lose a round and wouldn't have a big problem. 

(3) Benelli M4 loading port is longer than Beretta 1301 Tactical loading port. It's more like Beretta 1301 Comp Pro. That's why I didn't end up buying Beretta 1301 Comp Pro for its longer receiver. 

(4) The build quality of Benelli M4 is better than Beretta 1301, if not way better. Benelli M4 also uses a simpler "short-stroke" gas piston, compared to Beretta's complicated "long-stroke" gas piston. The general rule in Physics says that, the simpler and lighter the moving parts are, the more stable and reliable the system is. I will take both shotguns apart and post some photos later for you to compare. 

Don't get me wrong. I still like my Beretta 1301 a lot. It'd probably be my first choice for home defense. If I go to a real combat like John Wick, I will take Benelli M4. For the end of the world, well, Mossberg M590A1 is more appropriate, since you have to use whatever shells you can find and you don't want to fire rapidly to waste ammo. Besides, even if you break a part or two, Mossberg 5901A1 might still work! 

Happy Thanksgiving! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

You Mossy owners need to understand that Mossberg doesn't give a diddlely squat about your safety and I would never trust a Mossy pump (any Mossy pump) with my life unless the remedy has been applied to the shell lifter. I do own a Mossy Shockwave which has the remedy performed on the shell lifter. I also own a Rock Island Armory pump shotgun which has the exact same issue although it's not a frontline gun for me so not concerned at this time, just very wary of the problem. What's the problem? Well, if you drop a Mossy pump which is unaltered box stock then you're very likely to have a broken, non-functioning pump shotgun. From a drop as little as ten inches either of the pins on the shell lifter where they are held by the holes in the receiver will become dislodged. If you're not in the middle of a shitstorm then it's a fairly easy temporary fix (it WILL happen again if dropped) so long is you do not work the action. If you attempt to work the action while the shell lifter is dislodged then you have a real problem that will not easily be solved requiring disassembly. The solution my gunsmith and I came up with is taping both pins for screws and installing delrin washers over the pins and under the screws. Now my Shockwave will pass the drop test. And why do I assert Mossberg doesn't give a diddlely squat about your safety? Because my gunsmith called then inquiring about the problem and they feigned ignorance. They know and yet they don't do anything about it.

Mossy pumps are popular because of being an entry level shotgun. Then there's the "hey, it's mil-spec!" nonsense with the 590. If you're wanting a pump shotty that you can bet your life on get a Benelli Nova or Super Nova instead.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

21 hours ago, Sukhoi_fan said:

What's the problem? Well, if you drop a Mossy pump which is unaltered box stock then you're very likely to have a broken, non-functioning pump shotgun. From a drop as little as ten inches either of the pins on the shell lifter where they are held by the holes in the receiver will become dislodged. If you're not in the middle of a shitstorm then it's a fairly easy temporary fix (it WILL happen again if dropped) so long is you do not work the action. If you attempt to work the action while the shell lifter is dislodged then you have a real problem that will not easily be solved requiring disassembly. The solution my gunsmith and I came up with is taping both pins for screws and installing delrin washers over the pins and under the screws.

The Mossberg 500/590 lifter issue is pretty well documented. However as I keep my 590A1 in cruiser ready condition (fully loaded tube, empty chamber, safety off), I’m not worried. The disengaged safety keeps the pins from walking. I’ve dropped my 590A1 from 5ft high and never could replicate the problem. With the safety engaged - it is as you described. I like the idea of drilling/taping the pins. I’ll have to give that a go.

• Upvote 2

The Enhanced Beretta 1301 Tactical comes with two chokes: cylinder and improved cylinder. It reminds me that Benelli M4 came with modified choke only. Benelli says "only cylinder and improved cylinder chokes for slugs" and "cylinder choke for rifled slugs". Then, why doesn't Benelli M4 come with cylinder choke? I remember spending $20+ on a cylinder choke in order to fire slugs on my M4. I'd guess that Benelli M4 owners shoot far more slugs/buckshots than birdshots! 

Edited by CAUS

Is the latest 1301T with extended tube the “enhanced” that you say is shipping with CYL and IC chokes? My non-extended gen2  1301T only came with CYL. I only fire 00 and slugs from my trio. Pretty much use FliteControl rounds so CYL is all I need. 

Edited by kilyung

Yes, I was talking about the new "enhanced" model. To be honest, I am not sure if it is really "enhanced" much. It comes with CYL and IC chokes, but no plastic case (just a paper box). The difference is the mag tube. It's a real 7-round tube, not 5-round plus 2-round extension. In order to accommodate the longer mag tube, the mag tube cap is changed to a long 5" cap. It's needed mainly to secure the barrel. It looks cool. But, it comes with an issue. One can't add another extension tube, say extra 1-round extension to go with a breecher muzzle brake. Beretta hasn't come up with a part for that yet. Someone has posted a review about this issue already on the Beretta 1301 official website. Also, given the high demand, the enhanced model is sold at ~$200 above the Gen 2. One can get a 2-round extension and barrel clamp at a cheaper price. Not sure about 922(r) compliance for Gen 2 with 2-round extension though. But, it seems that only Benelli M4 owners worry about 922(r). Very few Beretta 1301 owners paid attention to 922(r). 

Speaking of this long 5" cap, I raised the concern in another forum on the possibility of breaking it if the shotgun is dropped to the ground with muzzle down. Breaking it wouldn't lose the spring, which is secured by another plastic cap inside. But, it might make the shotgun unfunctional since the barrel can't be secured to the receiver. Although the chance of breaking this long cap is very remote, both Benelli M4 and Mossberg 590A1 are designed to secure the barrel much better.  Well, guess what. I was ridiculed and bullied in that forum, saying that a shotgun would never de dropped if one trains well. Hmm, then, why did the military have drop tests on all guns?

Edited by CAUS