Taran bolt release for Benelli M2 installation question

Dargg7

Hello,

I purchased a Taran Tactical oversized bolt release for my Benelli M2. The instructions say to drill and tap the carrier latch release button.

My question is, for anyone that has done this, did you drill through the entire button or just part of the way through it? The Benelli button is quite a bit longer than the Taran screw.

Thanks,

David

I have not installed that exact bolt release in a M2. However I don't think you need to drill and tap the hole to be any deeper that the length of the screw. Anything deeper may compromise the strength of the factory part and wouldn't make contact with the screw anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CobraBG said:

I have not installed that exact bolt release in a M2. However I don't think you need to drill and tap the hole to be any deeper that the length of the screw. Anything deeper may compromise the strength of the factory part and wouldn't make contact with the screw anyway.

Thanks!

If you don’t want to drill it yourself, the Franchi Affinity 3 carrier latch is drilled and tapped to accept screw in bolt release buttons. It is compatible with the M2 carrier latch (and the M4) so you don’t have to drill it. Not sure if the TT screw is the same thread pattern as the Franchi’s but you could always just use the correct screw. I know they’re compatible because I installed my M2 GG&G carrier latch onto my Franchi (Franchi carrier latch went onto M4 with Toni button).

Franchi carrier latch (threaded version):

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/50696

YT video showing compatibility of Franchi Affinity and Benelli M2 carrier latches (@23min):

Edited by kilyung

4 hours ago, kilyung said:

If you don’t want to drill it yourself, the Franchi Affinity 3 carrier latch is drilled and tapped to accept screw in bolt release buttons. It is compatible with the M2 carrier latch (and the M4) so you don’t have to drill it. Not sure if the TT screw is the same thread pattern as the Franchi’s but you could always just use the correct screw. I know they’re compatible because I installed my M2 GG&G carrier latch onto my Franchi (Franchi carrier latch went onto M4 with Toni button).

Franchi carrier latch (threaded version):

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/50696

YT video showing compatibility of Franchi Affinity and Benelli M2 carrier latches (@23min):

Awesome thanks for the tip!

Agreed, don't drill all the way thru. The trouble you'll have is trying to get the latch level in your drill press so that you can drill a hole perpendicular to the button's face. The latch has a weird shape which prevents you from on squaring it up. Once your hole is drilled, tapping it is pretty straight forward and easy to do.

I'm not a huge fan of their pad since it rides a bit high off of the pad since they didn't countersink the pad to the button. There is nothing that prevents the button from twisting other than the tension of the screw.

15 hours ago, StrangerDanger said:

Agreed, don't drill all the way thru. The trouble you'll have is trying to get the latch level in your drill press so that you can drill a hole perpendicular to the button's face. The latch has a weird shape which prevents you from on squaring it up. Once your hole is drilled, tapping it is pretty straight forward and easy to do.

I'm not a huge fan of their pad since it rides a bit high off of the pad since they didn't countersink the pad to the button. There is nothing that prevents the button from twisting other than the tension of the screw.

Is there another brand you recommend?

Just me, but I prefer the Nordic Components button which is round.  I've got the GGG on a couple but due to the rectangular shape it's vulnerable to getting hit on an angle that can loosen the stud attached to the release bar since it's only a press-fit.  I don't see the Nordic button on their website any more but they appear to be available on ebay and other sites.

M1-20 - 3.JPG

• 1 year later...