Magtube Spring Install

Burnett

I have a Carriercomp magazine spring on the way and have an install question. With the 2-piece tube that came on my 11715 do I remove the snap ring on the end of the tube or unscrew the plus 2 extension and install it that way. Also I want to get snap ring pliers for the snap ring to have on hand, any recommendations on size or type? Are there any other tools that are helpful to have for this platform? Thanks for the help, shotguns are new to me.

These are not gunsmith quality, but they worked good enough for me at a great price to both remove/install the magazine tube snap ring, and remove/install the trigger guard pin C-clip when upgrading to TTI's AccuGuide Extended Carrier on my M1014 ... https://www.amazon.com/TOOLEAGUE-Circlip-Internal-External-Retaining/dp/B092C5SJ3J/ref=asc_df_B092C5SJ3J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507830687971&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3542218472012117637&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032006&hvtargid=pla-1288564654067&psc=1

According to the owner's manual, you can use the bolt handle to remove the magazine tube snap ring, but it wasn't clear to me exactly how, and I didn't want to mar up brand new gun parts finding out. 

I'm not familiar with the 11715, but if possible, I would just unscrew the plus 2 extension and install your new spring that way without messing with the snap ring, having it go flying, and/or marring up new gun parts.

Whatever you do, keep the tube away from your face and/or horizontal to your body and keep a good grip on it. I know that sounds obvious, but even experienced gun guys who have been around pistols, rifles and shotguns all their lives can get lazy or frustrated with a part under pressure and get a real good painful reminder. Ask me how I know that. LOL

Edited by ThisShouldDoTheJob

Thanks for the link on the pliers, definitely want to have the right tools on hand if needed. I was thinking along the same lines as you on just unscrewing the extension and doing it that way. My thinking was that using the extension to capture the end of the spring to compress it would be easier than shoving the spring in the tube and trying to install the snap ring under all that pressure. I will definitely keep the mag tube pointed in a safe direction to escape injury. I feel for your painful reminder and will share one of my own.  Leaning down I squirted a couple of gun parts with Gun Scrubber and it bounced back into my eyes. Thought I was going to go blind. After that little episode call me Mr. Safety Goggle guy! LOL

23 hours ago, Burnett said:

Thanks for the link on the pliers, definitely want to have the right tools on hand if needed. I was thinking along the same lines as you on just unscrewing the extension and doing it that way. My thinking was that using the extension to capture the end of the spring to compress it would be easier than shoving the spring in the tube and trying to install the snap ring under all that pressure. I will definitely keep the mag tube pointed in a safe direction to escape injury. I feel for your painful reminder and will share one of my own.  Leaning down I squirted a couple of gun parts with Gun Scrubber and it bounced back into my eyes. Thought I was going to go blind. After that little episode call me Mr. Safety Goggle guy! LOL

Yeah, those pliers are OK seeing I don't see myself ever using them again on this gun, and I didn't want to spend $150+ bucks for the real deal, but a real gunsmith would look at their imprecise build and laugh. I didn't need to, but you could always clean up/sharpen the prongs with a file or a Dremel if you had to.

Before pretty much everything got outsourced to China, I remember how precise USA Made tools used to be. [Heavy sigh.]

Yep, I wear safety goggles all the time too now. Like many others have experienced - as you can see via a quick Google search - I too "shot" myself in the face with a 1911 pistol recoil spring plug when I got frustrated with the bushing wrench and moved the gun to better see what the hell was I was doing wrong. No real damage, but it did scare the hell out of me, realizing I came that close to losing my right eye. Others have been less fortunate. I love the Old Tymey design of the 1911 pistol and its classic lines, but it's always been my least favorite gun to tinker on - even before I "shot" myself in the face with one. 🙂   

Not just for the M4, but almost all shotgun magazine spring removal / installations that have an aperture in the magazine retaining cap,  I employ an aluminum thru- rod with chamfered edges that engage the follower, spring and magazine retaining cap which controls the spring in a predictable linear manner if it gets away from you.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.13.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.12.34 PM.png

CIMG2481 copy.JPG

CIMG2483 copy.JPG

• Upvote 3

While I think it's necessary to have snap ring pliers as part of any home gunsmith's tools, the Benelli mag spring retainer can be removed in a pinch safely, easily and without damage with a flat blade screwdriver.

It actually affords a little bit more control, I think, because as you're working out the retainer with the screwdriver, the fingers of your other hand can be used to grasp the retailer as you work it toward the end of the tube so it doesn't rocket out on you.