M3 possible cycling issues

nyc71

Has anyone here experienced reliability issues with your M3 because of added weight to the receiver like a dot & shot card? I've read claims of as long as less than 6 shells in the card it'll be good. I rather have the extra shells on the receiver than a dot if I have to pick one of the two.

Edited by nyc71

4 hours ago, Varangian said:

I mount a RMR in a Scalarworks mount, a 7-round Esstac card, and a Surefire M300V on my M3 and it works fine with 00B and slugs.

Would you post a picture for reference? Which mount did you use for the light?

The light mount is Southern engineered...I used a Toni System tactical barrel clamp with a pic rail section, then added a M-lok adapter.  It's the best I could come up with to use M-lok.  It places the switch right directly in front of my thumb, is pretty solid, and works, so I'm happy with it so far.

The Scalarworks RMR mount gives me co-witness with the iron sights.

image.jpeg.7d478d8524f2df40139dbc985660be82.jpeg

image.jpeg.8f1761aad0cf38060ef0f3883d868183.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4ac7cf7855c61e1856407d4404ccae3.jpeg

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Varangian said:

The light mount is Southern engineered...I used a Toni System tactical barrel clamp with a pic rail section, then added a M-lok adapter.  It's the best I could come up with to use M-lok.  It places the switch right directly in front of my thumb, is pretty solid, and works, so I'm happy with it so far.

The Scalarworks RMR mount gives me co-witness with the iron sights.

image.jpeg.7d478d8524f2df40139dbc985660be82.jpeg

image.jpeg.8f1761aad0cf38060ef0f3883d868183.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4ac7cf7855c61e1856407d4404ccae3.jpeg

Thanks for the reference.

• 1 month later...

At the heart of the M3 is still the inertial system so it certainly can affect it. That said, I've found it to be MUCH more critical of having a firm shoulder mount than anything else. If I "free hand" where I let it swing freely my M3 or SBE's, they will fire and eject the empty. But, because they don't have any real resistance, they don't go back far enough to hit the cartridge release and thus never picks up the next cartridge.

So, back to your question, you can overcome this issue of lack of resistance (in my case) or extra weight added (in your case) by shooting a higher DRAM-EQ shell. For the 3.5" capable SBE's, I end up shooting the 1 1/8 oz load and it has solved all short cycling issues on both guns. They are still available as el-cheapo loads from Wal-Mart.

• Upvote 1